4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 4.6 GT Power Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:16 PM
NFelker1981

Exclamation 2001 4.6 GT Power Window Problems

Ok I have searched these threads and found many people's problems resolve when hitting the door. That has not been the case for me. Here is the issue.

2001 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Automatic Trans

My driver side power window switches will not control either the drivers side or passengers side window.

The passengers side switch will work. So I have ruled out a faulty fuse.

I pulled apart the assembly and switched the switches. I put the drivers side switch on the passengers side and vice versa. Turned on the power and no luck with the drivers side still but the passengers side still works. So I have ruled out the switches.

I hear no noise coming from the motor and since the passengers side won't operate from the drivers side but will from the passengers side, I have ruled out the motor anyway.

Any advice or help?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Do you have keyless entry system?
Coupe or convertible (with the way you worded your post, I would guess coupe, but it never hurts to ask)?

There should be a pink or lt blue/black wire that goes to the switch that should be hot in acc or run... does it? Are the black ground wires grounded (should be 2 on each switch for coupe or just 1 for the whole component for the vert).
Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I would just bite the bullit and have the dealer diagnose the problem.. GL!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:00 PM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

What Soldier said...

Flamingo seems to have the wiring down. I was thinking broken wires. I have had it in other vehicles. The wires between the frame and door break over time. I paid a pro to do it last time as I hate wiring issues like this. I think it cost me $60 and he fixed all the wires that were on the verge of failing not just the failed ones and sealed it all up. If it isn't that then good luck.

But there was also a known issue with the window motor, driver side only in the 01s. I am not sure what other years? I had mine replaced after 6000 miles because it only worked intermittently.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NFelker1981
Ok I have searched these threads and found many people's problems resolve when hitting the door. That has not been the case for me. Here is the issue.

2001 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Automatic Trans

My driver side power window switches will not control either the drivers side or passengers side window.

The passengers side switch will work. So I have ruled out a faulty fuse.

I pulled apart the assembly and switched the switches. I put the drivers side switch on the passengers side and vice versa. Turned on the power and no luck with the drivers side still but the passengers side still works. So I have ruled out the switches.

I hear no noise coming from the motor and since the passengers side won't operate from the drivers side but will from the passengers side, I have ruled out the motor anyway.

Any advice or help?
Did you try testing the wires with a Multi Meter to see if it getting power.
Id start there, also OHM test grounds for shorts.

But I agree with Soldier, may have to get raped by staelership for this one.