Symtoms of a fuel pump failure? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Reload this Page >

Symtoms of a fuel pump failure?

Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Symtoms of a fuel pump failure?

Old 11-20-2011, 12:52 AM
  #11  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by MySlowGT View Post
Yeah well that too! I'd hate to waste money



Thank you sir, I'm going to test it out in a little bit.
Just an update: Nothing to update because I've been lazy! . No I'm just kidding... when I've had the opportunity to check my car out it's either been raining, or already getting dark. Next dry day I'll check it out. Thank you to everyone on here again for the advice, hopefully I'll get it figured out pretty soon


Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
The cost of the part and/or the difficulty in changing it is 100% irrelevant to whether it needs changing or not. Electric fuel pumps typically should be changed at 75K miles and OP is well past that. Does one think that the fuel pump will last forever, because it is hard to change? Besides, I did my own by myself in about 3 hours. Had some trouble addressing the filler spout disconnection, but not a difficult repair, as most go.

I am sure that we ALL would like to avoid replacing/repairing something, because it is difficult, but this is just a maintanence item and things MUST be maintained to continue operation of your car

Jazzer.... speaketh the trutheth
Again, it's not the difficulty of replacing the pump... just the fact that I'm uncomfortable jacking my car up where i live(steep hill) . If I need to it's not a massive deal it's just out of my comfort zone.

p.s. incase it turns out to be my fuel pump, did you just buy the full assembly or the fuel pump by itself?
MySlowGT is offline  
Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
  #12  
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member
 
hpwrestler220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,817
Default

Originally Posted by MySlowGT View Post
Just an update: Nothing to update because I've been lazy! . No I'm just kidding... when I've had the opportunity to check my car out it's either been raining, or already getting dark. Next dry day I'll check it out. Thank you to everyone on here again for the advice, hopefully I'll get it figured out pretty soon




Again, it's not the difficulty of replacing the pump... just the fact that I'm uncomfortable jacking my car up where i live(steep hill) . If I need to it's not a massive deal it's just out of my comfort zone.

p.s. incase it turns out to be my fuel pump, did you just buy the full assembly or the fuel pump by itself?
I'd like to know this too... There is a significant price difference.
hpwrestler220 is offline  
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 PM
  #13  
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator
 
Jazzer The Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,233
Default

I just purchased a Focus pump all by itself. Re-used the gasket, IIRC and difficulty was worse because of my Griggs PHB bracket (right up against the tank and had no room to wiggle in a forward direction)

It is a bit difficult to do, but you need one regardless, based on mileage of your ride. Would be nice to find another cause, but would a bummer to find it and NOT do the pump as well, IMO. I do diagnosis and repair on stuff all the time, for my job. I occasionally have a lot of trouble figuring out the problem.

Sometimes, you have to prove what ISN'T the problem and when something should be replaced anyway, this is what I would do

Jazzer
Jazzer The Cat is offline  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 PM
  #14  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by Repzard View Post
The plug im talking about is attach to rear bumper.
It supplies power to pump and sender.

I believe the wire you want to throw 12v at is pink\tan + black\red - on plug near bumper

I know there a picture or wiring diagram somewhere on one of the Mustang forums.
maybe CliffyK may have one.Id shoot him a PM
I finally went under the car to check it out. It's plug that's almost centered right next to the back of the car(actual bumper) and not towards the drivers/passengers side of the car right? Reason I'm asking is there looks like there might be a few lines that go towards the fuel tank i want to make sure I'm dealing with the right one .

Actually, here's a picture... (i hope this isn't against forum rules, i read something about pictures... if it i apologize.)


Also, if this is the right plug; is both the pink/tan and black/red power or is one ground and one power? Reason i'm asking is i would rather just pull out the power wire, and hook it up to a power source, while leaving it plugged in.

I'm sorry for so many questions...
MySlowGT is offline  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 PM
  #15  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
I just purchased a Focus pump all by itself. Re-used the gasket, IIRC and difficulty was worse because of my Griggs PHB bracket (right up against the tank and had no room to wiggle in a forward direction)

It is a bit difficult to do, but you need one regardless, based on mileage of your ride. Would be nice to find another cause, but would a bummer to find it and NOT do the pump as well, IMO. I do diagnosis and repair on stuff all the time, for my job. I occasionally have a lot of trouble figuring out the problem.

Sometimes, you have to prove what ISN'T the problem and when something should be replaced anyway, this is what I would do

Jazzer
Thank you . I completely understand that i need to replace the pump, if i towed the car to one of my friends houses it would already be replaced. For me personally i HATE electrical, it confuses, and stresses me out, but replacing stuff is easy, even if it's time consuming . I've had to diagnose, and replace A LOT with this car unfortunately, and I'm not exactly what you'd call a master mechanic so it's always fun .

And i honestly think it is the fuel pump so I'm probably going to be replacing it sooner rather than later. I wanted to start the car and move it to a more friendly work area but i doubt that's going to happen

Again thank you/everyone who has given input on the topic, it's definitely appreciated.
MySlowGT is offline  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 PM
  #16  
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator
 
Jazzer The Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,233
Default

^ Hey.... did you guys see that?

MySlow thinks were all a bunch of drunks! Why the ne...*hickup*..rve of you
Jazzer The Cat is offline  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
  #17  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
^ Hey.... did you guys see that?

MySlow thinks were all a bunch of drunks! Why the ne...*hickup*..rve of you

Alcoholism is way under rated!
MySlowGT is offline  
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
  #18  
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator
 
Jazzer The Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,233
Default

This is a post I JUST made on another thread about fuel pumps:

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
You at 134K miles...?!?!?!?! I think you should drop the tank and replace the pump... TWICE in a single day, as punishment for your transgressions!

Seriously, if you are that high... *ehem* on mileage, you are well on borrowed time and that car will leave you stranded one day. Take a look at ***THIS*** page and recommends after 60K is worth considering. Some pepes on ***HERE*** had issues at 121K and 112K. I just think it is silly to go soo far past what is not that difficult a repair, that can absolutely RUIN your entire weekend/vacation/day and cost you a broken facia by a curiously-grinning tow-truck driver at 2:15 AM on the side of the road in rural Squeal Like A Pig, Missouri.

Jazzer
Jazzer The Cat is offline  
Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM
  #19  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
This is a post I JUST made on another thread about fuel pumps:

OMG who cut into their car to replace the pump?

Nevermind i read it... poor guy. And there was 2 or 3 people in there that decided to cut into their trucks. That's what forums are for! read before cutting stuff!

The fuel pump write up is pretty good! Thanks again


(had to throw this one in here!)

edit: can anyone tell i like using icons? haha
MySlowGT is offline  
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM
  #20  
Repzard
4th Gear Member
 
Repzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sttesuhcaxaT (The State you love to hate)
Posts: 1,360
Default

Originally Posted by MySlowGT View Post
I finally went under the car to check it out. It's plug that's almost centered right next to the back of the car(actual bumper) and not towards the drivers/passengers side of the car right? Reason I'm asking is there looks like there might be a few lines that go towards the fuel tank i want to make sure I'm dealing with the right one .

Actually, here's a picture... (i hope this isn't against forum rules, i read something about pictures... if it i apologize.)


Also, if this is the right plug; is both the pink/tan and black/red power or is one ground and one power? Reason i'm asking is i would rather just pull out the power wire, and hook it up to a power source, while leaving it plugged in.

I'm sorry for so many questions...
That is the plug, Just make sure you test the right connector and wires.
Test the one going toward the tank not the body with 12V on wires stated in my last post(spare batt works or jump box).
If you hear FP come on then its good or can be weak if you here it sputter.

You can test the other connector (one toward bumper) with a test light for power issue with a buddy.Turn on key and if test light lights up FP is getting power.its better to test with mutimeter to see volts.

This is how I tested mine when Stock FP failed

Good Luck

Last edited by Repzard; 11-22-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Repzard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Symtoms of a fuel pump failure?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.