MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Symtoms of a fuel pump failure? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/657762-symtoms-of-a-fuel-pump-failure.html)

MySlowGT 11-16-2011 08:29 PM

Symtoms of a fuel pump failure?

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with my car. I drive a 2000 mustang GT, and for the last 2 weeks or so it's been acting up a little bit. About a week ago, it started misfiring(very mildly), and sporadically not turning on. After not turning on, I disconnected the fuel line(right before the fuel rail), and it didn't have any fuel coming out, and the next day i try to figure out what was wrong, and this time when i turned the key over gas spurted out (into a plastic bottle. i know it's ghetto but i didn't have a fuel pressure gauge)

I thought it was weird, and knew something was wrong but i decided to drive it anyways. I got to my destination fine, but as soon as i went to leave the car had a super rough idle, barely staying alive. I wasn't far from home so i decided just to try to get home. Less than a block away the car cut out, and wouldn't start back up. It cranks over just fine, but it just doesn't start. I disconnected the fuel line again to see if i had fuel to the engine and nothing came out.

So far all I've done is replace the fuel filter, check fuses(fuel pump), and made sure the inertia switch wasn't tripped. I guess what I'm asking is, am i heading into the right direction? I would assume that a fuel pump relay would go out all at once(or am i wrong)? I've also read a lot of somewhat similar problems to mine, and those ended with CCRM issues. I'd rather check all my options before replacing the fuel pump(i don't want to drop my fuel tank, or pay someone $500 to do it for me.)

hpwrestler220 11-16-2011 11:38 PM

hmmm that's tough... I'm having fuel pump troubles too but my car doesn't misfire or anything like that while driving.

I always thought that typically once a car starts, the fuel pump usually stays on. As in it would be very rare for a fuel pump to die on you while you're driving. I mean it can still happen but i hear it's rare.

When you turn your key to the "ON" position, can you hear the fuel pump humming? It should make a noise for maybe 1-2 seconds because it is priming the lines and shooting the fuel to the engine. If it's hard to hear it, have you or somebody else put their head by the gas tank or gas door where you fill up and have someone listen for the pump while the other turns the key.

MySlowGT 11-17-2011 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220 (Post 7752232)
hmmm that's tough... I'm having fuel pump troubles too but my car doesn't misfire or anything like that while driving.

I always thought that typically once a car starts, the fuel pump usually stays on. As in it would be very rare for a fuel pump to die on you while you're driving. I mean it can still happen but i hear it's rare.

When you turn your key to the "ON" position, can you hear the fuel pump humming? It should make a noise for maybe 1-2 seconds because it is priming the lines and shooting the fuel to the engine. If it's hard to hear it, have you or somebody else put their head by the gas tank or gas door where you fill up and have someone listen for the pump while the other turns the key.

Yeah I thought that fuel pumps just kinda suddenly died on you too. The symptoms of my car really made it seem like it was just a fuel filter.

I tried listening but i can't hear anything over the beeping when you turn over the ignition key to "on". Maybe I'll cut the door chime wire, and listen for it again. Or maybe just do what you said, it would be a lot easier :icon_toast:

Thanks for your feedback man, and if anyone else has tips, ideas or anything else to add it would be greatly appreciated.

Jazzer The Cat 11-17-2011 07:51 AM

How many miles on your car?

The electric fuel pump should be replaced by no more than 70K miles, IMO. I replaced mine at about 60K, because I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere and ruin a weekend getaway with my wife.

If you have this many, or more miles, you should do the fuel pump anyway. If you cannot prove what the problem IS, prove what it is NOT!

Jazzer :)

Repzard 11-17-2011 09:41 AM

Did you try throwing 12V at the fuel pump connector "near tank"to see if you hear it?
Thats how I test mine.

MySlowGT 11-17-2011 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat (Post 7752358)
How many miles on your car?

The electric fuel pump should be replaced by no more than 70K miles, IMO. I replaced mine at about 60K, because I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere and ruin a weekend getaway with my wife.

If you have this many, or more miles, you should do the fuel pump anyway. If you cannot prove what the problem IS, prove what it is NOT!

Jazzer :)

Over 100,000. Changing the fuel pump is a last resort. I'm just trying to avoid dropping the tank down. I park on a steep incline, and it's sort've sketchy to jack my car up, I've never had any actual problems in the past, but I'm just never comfortable doing so.

Originally Posted by Repzard (Post 7752439)
Did you try throwing 12V at the fuel pump connector "near tank"to see if you hear it?
Thats how I test mine.

No, do you by any chance have a picture of where this is? I'm trying to find it on Google, but no luck.

Do you mean from the fuel pump driver module in the trunk?

hpwrestler220 11-17-2011 05:53 PM

I know what you're saying jazzer but i'm not sure i agree with you! Most people aren't going to WANT to get their fuel pumped changed. It's expensive! This isn't a $10 part

Repzard 11-17-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by MySlowGT (Post 7752918)
Over 100,000. Changing the fuel pump is a last resort. I'm just trying to avoid dropping the tank down. I park on a steep incline, and it's sort've sketchy to jack my car up, I've never had any actual problems in the past, but I'm just never comfortable doing so.

No, do you by any chance have a picture of where this is? I'm trying to find it on Google, but no luck.

Do you mean from the fuel pump driver module in the trunk?

The plug im talking about is attach to rear bumper.
It supplies power to pump and sender.

I believe the wire you want to throw 12v at is pink\tan + black\red - on plug near bumper

I know there a picture or wiring diagram somewhere on one of the Mustang forums.
maybe CliffyK may have one.Id shoot him a PM

MySlowGT 11-17-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220 (Post 7752965)
I know what you're saying jazzer but i'm not sure i agree with you! Most people aren't going to WANT to get their fuel pumped changed. It's expensive! This isn't a $10 part

Yeah well that too! I'd hate to waste money :)

Originally Posted by Repzard (Post 7753018)
The plug im talking about is attach to rear bumper.
It supplies power to pump and sender.

I believe the wire you want to throw 12v at is pink\tan + black\red - on plug near bumper

I know there a picture or wiring diagram somewhere on one of the Mustang forums.
maybe CliffyK may have one.Id shoot him a PM

Thank you sir, I'm going to test it out in a little bit.

Jazzer The Cat 11-18-2011 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220 (Post 7752965)

The cost of the part and/or the difficulty in changing it is 100% irrelevant to whether it needs changing or not. Electric fuel pumps typically should be changed at 75K miles and OP is well past that. Does one think that the fuel pump will last forever, because it is hard to change? Besides, I did my own by myself in about 3 hours. Had some trouble addressing the filler spout disconnection, but not a difficult repair, as most go.

I am sure that we ALL would like to avoid replacing/repairing something, because it is difficult, but this is just a maintanence item and things MUST be maintained to continue operation of your car :D

Jazzer.... speaketh the trutheth :)