4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cracked Intake manifold/gasket or head gasket in 1998 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Am17

Default Cracked Intake manifold/gasket or head gasket in 1998 GT?

So I've only had this car for a month but already I love the thing. A couple of days ago I was replacing the spark plugs and wires and I noticed one of the holes was full of coolant, ugh! Now I'm left wondering whether I have a cracked intake manifold, broken intake gasket or a broken head gasket. I'm hoping it's not the head gasket since I haven't see antifreeze anywhere else. The car though has been leaking a small amount of antifreeze, about a few drops overnight. I know Ford was offering repairs up until last year for cracked intake manifolds so I'm leaning towards that being the problem. Anyone have any better ideas? I'm not very good with cars this being my first and all, still trying to learn!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 AM
SchmigShady

my 96 gt is having the same problem but mine is missfiring because of the antifreeze getting the plug wires wet. I'm thinking its the a cracked intake because of it being plastic but i think this one has been replaced because of the thermost housing is aluminuim and i think the ones from the factory are plastic like the rest of the intake. but i'm tearing it apart next weekend to find out for sure.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:08 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

99.44% of the time it's a cracked or otherwise failed intake manifold--even the newer one with the aluminum crossover has problems (the OEM unit on my '03 failed last February, with 125k miles or so on it).

Here are a couple of threads describing the usual points of failure, and how people have dealt with them:

Cracked Intake Manifold

Thermostat Housing Leaking
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

I have a new intake manifold from ford racing with the aluminum crossover that I'm selling. It's the PI upgraded one. Only has 3k miles on it
Old 11-20-2011, 11:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The OP has a '98, PI manifold will not fit...
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Am17

Alright, so I think this is what I need. Can anyone let me know what else I'd need? Preferably links to the items. Looks like my throw out bearings not working right either and I want to get that fixed asap.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM
scrapman

Originally Posted by Am17
Alright, so I think this is what I need. Can anyone let me know what else I'd need? Preferably links to the items. Looks like my throw out bearings not working right either and I want to get that fixed asap.
No, that is not what you need. As cliffyk said, your 1998 does not have PI heads, and therefore that intake won't work. You will need to get a non-PI intake, along with new intake gaskets. It is a pretty straightforward swap, I just did it on an 02. There are some you tube videos of the swap if you want to see it done before you start yours.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Like "scrapman" said, and as stated in the AM page you linked:

Application. This Ford Racing Performance Improvement (PI) Intake Manifold is a direct fit on 1999-2004 4.6L GT Mustangs with PI head ports. It can also be used on 1996-1998 4.6L engines with PI heads, with additional parts and modifications required.
[emphasis added]

I have not seen a non-PI factory replacement advertised, though I have also not done any extensive research to try to locate one either.

One option would be to get an aftermarket replacement. It will likely be a Dorman (or relabeled Dorman as NAPA does), it's an OK replacement for a '96 to '98 and does have the aluminum crossover.

$250 at most FLAPS...
Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

or you can use mine and follow this write up haha http://www.modularheadshop.com/Artic...ake%20swap.htm
Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 PM
SchmigShady

Originally Posted by cisurfer
or you can use mine and follow this write up haha http://www.modularheadshop.com/Artic...ake%20swap.htm

interesting might have to try this not a bad power upgrade. too bad the swap kit is $119 and a new intake is $200 not sure i want to spend that much but if its better i might have to go for it.

Quick Reply: Cracked Intake manifold/gasket or head gasket in 1998 GT?