4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MIL CONNECTORS

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Default MIL CONNECTORS

Threw a CEL today, almost positive its an o2 sensor, was reading about the MIL connectors on American Muscle and the ad said they were only for the rear 02 sensors, will they work on the front o2 sensors as well?? - or should I just bite the bullet and replace the bad o2 sensor...sucks because you get 2 MIL connectors for darn near the price of 1 02 sensor...
Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

AFAIK, they just work on the rear. The rear sensors have a slightly different function than the fronts. I may be worng, but id say bite the bullet and get the o2 sensor.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

...you dont want to use them on the front o2 sensors, the front o2's are used to control the motor during normal driving for fuel trims. you start messing with the front o2's and your gunna be burning too much or too little gas, causing terrible gas milage and/or damage to the motor.

first off, is it the front or rear o2 sensors throwing the code? take it to autozone or adv auto (or a buddy with a code scanner), all 3 of which do it for free(well, cept the buddy, prolly have to buy him some beer) and find out what its up to. replace the o2 sensor if its the front.

if you want to "eliminate" the rear o2's, mil elims are 1 option. the other option is a tuner, with the added benefit of being able to do so much more and open up your options. sure its an extra expense, but its worth it and a better option IMO.

if your good with a soldering iron, you can "make" your own mil elims for a fraction of the price (like 15$ total). cliffyk has a webpage bout it.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
...you dont want to use them on the front o2 sensors, the front o2's are used to control the motor during normal driving for fuel trims. you start messing with the front o2's and your gunna be burning too much or too little gas, causing terrible gas milage and/or damage to the motor.

first off, is it the front or rear o2 sensors throwing the code? take it to autozone or adv auto (or a buddy with a code scanner), all 3 of which do it for free(well, cept the buddy, prolly have to buy him some beer) and find out what its up to. replace the o2 sensor if its the front.

if you want to "eliminate" the rear o2's, mil elims are 1 option. the other option is a tuner, with the added benefit of being able to do so much more and open up your options. sure its an extra expense, but its worth it and a better option IMO.

if your good with a soldering iron, you can "make" your own mil elims for a fraction of the price (like 15$ total). cliffyk has a webpage bout it.
thanks guys, ill take it to autoZone tommorow and have them throw the code scanner on it, thanks again...
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

First thing to do is get the code(s) read and make note of them--the codes, not whatever whoever reads the codes tells you they mean. Look the codes up here to see possible causes and diagnostic tips. Also, just because the description mentions an O2 sensor does not automatically mean a sensor is bad--in fact most O2 sensor related trouble codes are the result of a good sensor reporting some other problem.

MIL Eliminators (read more about them here) are only used on the rear sensors to trick the PCM into believing that the catalytic converters are installed and working. Note also that in order for MIL Eliminators to work the rear O2 sensors must be installed in the exhaust pipe and working--they eliminate the MIL's (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) lighting up when cats are bad or not there, they do not eliminate the need for installed and working rear O2 sensors.

The front sensors are essential to engine control and must be installed, properly wired, and functional.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
First thing to do is get the code(s) read and make note of them--the codes, not whatever whoever reads the codes tells you they mean. Look the codes up here to see possible causes and diagnostic tips. Also, just because the description mentions an O2 sensor does not automatically mean a sensor is bad--in fact most O2 sensor related trouble codes are the result of a good sensor reporting some other problem.

MIL Eliminators (read more about them here) are only used on the rear sensors to trick the PCM into believing that the catalytic converters are installed and working. Note also that in order for MIL Eliminators to work the rear O2 sensors must be installed in the exhaust pipe and working--they eliminate the MIL's (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) lighting up when cats are bad or not there, they do not eliminate the need for installed and working rear O2 sensors.

The front sensors are essential to engine control and must be installed, properly wired, and functional.
holy smokes there are a ton of codes, thanks for the info. I notice that the CEL goes on right after I lug the engine down too low starting from a stop.. I see that low air or voltage to MAF might throw code...ill find out tommorow...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

ok, 0133 sensor circuit slow response, bank 1 sensor 1 which is the same sensor that was triggering codes about a month ago - I replaced it then. So it looks like there are many things it can be including improper fueling. I noticed that it threw the code right after I lugged the motor from a stop letting the clutch out, could this have caused it?
Could my CAI be causing it. Where should I look first?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

p.s. I assume sensor 1 is passnger side right? at least that is what the "pros lol" at AutoZone told me
Old 11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

is it the same code that was causing the light before?
what do you mean the code came on right after you "lugged" the motor? did you stall it or did the RPM's just get really low or?

have you tried resetting the computer (disconnect battery, let car sit for about 10 minutes, then reconnect) after you do so you should drive around for 10-15 minutes to get the engine up to temp. then see if the same code or another code pops up.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
is it the same code that was causing the light before?
what do you mean the code came on right after you "lugged" the motor? did you stall it or did the RPM's just get really low or?

have you tried resetting the computer (disconnect battery, let car sit for about 10 minutes, then reconnect) after you do so you should drive around for 10-15 minutes to get the engine up to temp. then see if the same code or another code pops up.
yes lugged it as in REAALY low rpms, almost stalled it. I noticed that my battery voltage is still dropping to 9.6 momentarily on start up, so maybe when I almost stall the car the voltage drops and triggers the code. It was the same code before, bank one, sensor one..I just cleaned the MAF and checked for any intake leaks as well...
I took it a local mechanic because I though I had an exhaust leak (passenger side) at the collector but they swore up and down there is no leak and the sound I am hearing is coming from my CAI. Seems suspicious that I am getting a code from the sensor right where I suspect exhaust leak...I reset computer before and code went away, came back yesterday a block afte I almost stalled...

Last edited by Autohaulers INC; 11-23-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: MIL CONNECTORS