4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust & Emissions - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

California is beautiful, but the peple running it are corrupt money hungry morons! Ill take the snow here anytime.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Originally Posted by Mike Hadz
That's what i was thinking, kinda seems like a hassle keeping the old mid-pipe around, how much $$$ you think to swap the pipes every time? and i'd probably have to find a place that's cool with me running an off-road mid pipe yeah?

Thnx again
Oh I forgot to mention, talking to the local exhaust guy...He mentioned that the stock H Pipe is like $3000 MSRP. I didn't fact check him, but you might want to hold on to that, getting one back could be expensive.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:10 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WishIhadaTerminator
Oh I forgot to mention, talking to the local exhaust guy...He mentioned that the stock H Pipe is like $3000 MSRP. I didn't fact check him, but you might want to hold on to that, getting one back could be expensive.
You can find them used for under 200 bucks all the time. Check craigslist and your local salvage yards.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input everyone, i think i might just get some shorts & a slp catted x pipe, and swap it every 2 years, couldn't imagine a cop pulling me over and inspecting my car, and besides wouldn't keeping my stock headers and going with a high-flow catted x pipe barely show any gains?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input everyone, i think i might just get some shorts & a slp catted x pipe, and swap it every 2 years, couldn't imagine a cop pulling me over and inspecting my car, and besides wouldn't keeping my stock headers and going with a high-flow catted x pipe barely show any gains?
The big difference will be in sound more than HP gains. Just stay off the pedal and keep it out of high RPMs when you see a cop close by and you will be fine.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Again buddy, from everything I've read on here, the shorties are expensive relative to miniscule gains. Look around man, mostly you'll find everyone saying Long tubes or nothing. Believe me, I've been lurking around these forums (before signing up) for awhile. If that cash is burning a hole in your pocket that's one thing, but I wouldn't get the shorties just to have aftermarket headers.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1, "shortie" headers are no better than the stock manifolds--they are just a method of separating you from your money while making you think you've accomplished something...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
^+1, "shortie" headers are no better than the stock manifolds--they are just a method of separating you from your money while making you think you've accomplished something...

Could i pass smog/are there legal longtubes for california? and if i had longtubes i couldn't re-install my stock h pipe for smog tests could i?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Could i pass smog/are there legal longtubes for california? and if i had longtubes i couldn't re-install my stock h pipe for smog tests could i?
You could, however you would have to remove the LTs and re-install the stock manifolds. There may be CARB certified LTs, IDK?

LTs sound very nice and depending on which set you buy can, on a modestly "bolt-on" modded engine, make noticeable gains in the design's targeted RPM ranges--however a lot of the perceived gain (again on a modest bolt-on setup) is placebo effect, a result of that sweet sound.

Also keep in mind that when you need to do transmission repairs or replace the clutch one or both of the LTs will have to come off, at least partially. This is just additional time if you do your own work, however if you are paying to have the work done it becomes additional $$; likely to be in the same range as what was paid to install them in the first.

All that said, I would probably have LTs on my "bolt-on" GT except that at my age I'd just as soon not screw around installing them, dealing with the leaks and cracks that far to often accompany them, and having to yank 'em if I need to do tranny or clutch repairs--and I'll be damned if I would ever pay someone to work on my car. When (hopefully IF) that day comes I'll get a Corolla...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

No smog-legal Long tubes or Mid-length headers, since they both change the location of the cats. If I remember right (and don't quote me on this, I just remember reading it somewhere), since longtubes eliminate the pre-cat, and moves the cats further downstream, they aren't as effective anymore on the pollutants. According to what I read, to re-gain the amount of effectiveness lost, you would need to aid A.I.R. injection onto the car.

Stick with stock manifolds and just deal with removing the aftermarket mid pipe once every 2 years. It isn't that bad.

Again, not an expert, I just remember reading that somewhere.

Quick Reply: Exhaust & Emissions - What to do?