4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust & Emissions - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You could, however you would have to remove the LTs and re-install the stock manifolds. There may be CARB certified LTs, IDK?

LTs sound very nice and depending on which set you buy can, on a modestly "bolt-on" modded engine, make noticeable gains in the design's targeted RPM ranges--however a lot of the perceived gain (again on a modest bolt-on setup) is placebo effect, a result of that sweet sound.

Also keep in mind that when you need to do transmission repairs or replace the clutch one or both of the LTs will have to come off, at least partially. This is just additional time if you do your own work, however if you are paying to have the work done it becomes additional $$; likely to be in the same range as what was paid to install them in the first.

All that said, I would probably have LTs on my "bolt-on" GT except that at my age I'd just as soon not screw around installing them, dealing with the leaks and cracks that far to often accompany them, and having to yank 'em if I need to do tranny or clutch repairs--and I'll be damned if I would ever pay someone to work on my car. When (hopefully IF) that day comes I'll get a Corolla...
Originally Posted by kast1376
No smog-legal Long tubes or Mid-length headers, since they both change the location of the cats. If I remember right (and don't quote me on this, I just remember reading it somewhere), since longtubes eliminate the pre-cat, and moves the cats further downstream, they aren't as effective anymore on the pollutants. According to what I read, to re-gain the amount of effectiveness lost, you would need to aid A.I.R. injection onto the car.

Stick with stock manifolds and just deal with removing the aftermarket mid pipe once every 2 years. It isn't that bad.

Again, not an expert, I just remember reading that somewhere.

Thank you guys that was very useful, just gonna stick with stock manifolds for now (perhaps until i leave California, if ever) =]
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Hey Hadz, I'm assuming that's your white GT in your signature? How are you running the tint on your headlights? Tinted lights? Covers?

I've been wanting to get those for awhile, but I'm afraid the local police won't approve and write me a ticket...I'd hate to just throw the $$ away.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WishIhadaTerminator
Hey Hadz, I'm assuming that's your white GT in your signature? How are you running the tint on your headlights? Tinted lights? Covers?

I've been wanting to get those for awhile, but I'm afraid the local police won't approve and write me a ticket...I'd hate to just throw the $$ away.
Thanks for asking! Ordered them off american muscle, you get the whole lamp (w/o new bulbs) which is fine but i recommend buying some new 75% brighter bulbs if you go with these lamps, they make your lights a bit dim with the factory bulbs in place!

Lamps: http://www.americanmuscle.com/sm99hewiclco.html
Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Yea they look good buddy! How long have you had them? I've been eyeing some smoked headlights for awhile but they're illegal in CA. I was just worried about buying them but being forced to take them out...I'm assuming that no cops have pulled you over/ gave you a fix it ticket?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WishIhadaTerminator
Yea they look good buddy! How long have you had them? I've been eyeing some smoked headlights for awhile but they're illegal in CA. I was just worried about buying them but being forced to take them out...I'm assuming that no cops have pulled you over/ gave you a fix it ticket?
no sir not a single cop has done anything, infact about 2 weeks ago i wrecked my car up a curb into a tree (new bumper in mail/gotta go to autobody shop) but anyways the cops that came to the scene and called a tow truck for me liked my car didnt say a word about headlights etc, one of them even knew the year of my car =d! also was driving other night (late) had a cop drive by me on other side of road & immediately turn around when he heard my car, i drove responsibly and he left, also had a cop drive up next to me and tell me to slow down at a stop light, also didn't say a word about my headlights, i don't think any cop would really care much, buy em up!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

If you seriously run headlights that smoked and you're worrying about getting caught with illegal exhaust, then lol.... You're MUCH MORE likely to get pulled over for those than illegal exhaust, I know for a fact. I ran the covers when I had my 07 on the headlights and foglights, got 2 tickets before I gave up on that. Have had questionable exhaust for years and haven't been pulled over for it once, just swap for emissions and you're fine.

Last edited by xxDerek; 12-13-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 AM
chaos98

i live in cali. cut out the 4 cats after the front ones and put a bbk x pipe. passed smog no problem at a test only center at that. I'm also a former smog tech. and the smog equipment listed for mustangs only require 2 cats. make sure to keep your rear 02's
Old 12-17-2011, 06:09 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I switch out the stock exhaust every 2 years to smog it.