4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suspension Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Matt N

Default Suspension Questions..

So I have a 00 GT that I daily drive right now(but will turn into a garage queen in about 6 months) with about 130,000mi on it. You guys have had great advice in the past now I need your help with a new street setup for my son's future car. I read Jazzer's thread and searched quite a bit after that but i'm still not quite sold, I was thinking: Koni STR.T, MM LCA, MM SFC, and MM CC plates.

I havent decided on springs yet, I have Eibach sportlines right now that are ok but..

Any advice is appreciated with whatever I missed or you would add.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What kind of plans do you have for the car, twisties, drag? I'm a big fan of team z suspension parts.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Welcome, Matt If you read my guide, you already know what I am gonna say, huh?

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your car?

You looking to open-track, AX or drag this car? Depending on your answer, we will send you two entirely different directions for modding your car. There are a few common parts between these different activities, but they stop real quick. Speaking of stopping, my recommendation is to upgrade the brakes and tires before ANY other performance mods. Just like suspension, they are best chosen after that pesky ULTIMATE goal is known.

Jazzer
Old 12-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Matt N

Originally Posted by uberstang1
What kind of plans do you have for the car, twisties, drag? I'm a big fan of team z suspension parts.
My plans are for a moderately modded DD that eventually i'm going to give to my son down the road. I really only have about 6 more months with this car and then its being garaged for him. So im looking for above stock handling and stance with a decent not over the top ride quality.

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Welcome, Matt If you read my guide, you already know what I am gonna say, huh?

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your car?

See above

You looking to open-track, AX or drag this car? Depending on your answer, we will send you two entirely different directions for modding your car. There are a few common parts between these different activities, but they stop real quick. Speaking of stopping, my recommendation is to upgrade the brakes and tires before ANY other performance mods. Just like suspension, they are best chosen after that pesky ULTIMATE goal is known.

Jazzer
I upgraded my brakes with 13inch discs front and bullitt calipers with hawk pads all the way around, they're not brembos by any means but they get the job done over stockers and look good. I have brand new good-years with about 3,000 on them so we're good there.

Thanks for the responses i'm fairly beginner at suspension components so the help is appreciated.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

1. Have you also done SS lines at all four corners and premium fluid (DOT 5.1 or better)?

2. What model of Goodyear tires and what is the size on all four corners? (all three numbers please and dimensions of wheels too)

3. What suspension mods have you done to this point?

Jazzer numbers what his questions are 4
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Matt N

1. Have you also done SS lines at all four corners and premium fluid (DOT 5.1 or better)?

2. What model of Goodyear tires and what is the size on all four corners? (all three numbers please and dimensions of wheels too)

3. What suspension mods have you done to this point?

Jazzer numbers what his questions are 4
1. No ss lines, I went cheap. I did bleed with premium fluid though.

2. Eagle GT's in 245/45ZR17

3. All stock.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

1. You will not get the most of your existing brake upgrades without those two others

2. Do you mean these?

If so, these are an A/S tire and not a great choice for lateral or off-the-line grip They are gonna be fine for moderate DD, but will want more grip if more aggressive cornering is desired

3. I recommend you begin with the following:
... A. FLSFC's
... B. LCA's (those found on Jazzer's Approved, of course )
... C. I would probably consider a set of CO's up front of 300#

Jazzer

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 12-16-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Matt N

1. You will not get the most of your existing brake upgrades without those two others

2. Do you mean these?

If so, these are an A/S tire and not a great choice for lateral or off-the-line grip They are gonna be fine for moderate DD, but will want more grip if more aggressive cornering is desired

3. I recommend you begin with the following:
... A. FLSFC's
... B. LCA's (those found on Jazzer's Approved, of course )
... C. I would probably consider a set of CO's up front of 300#

Jazzer
I'll buy the lines in a few days.

Yeah those are the tires, being that it is my dd and it rains alot out here.

I think the CO's will be a lil more then I want to spend, what do you think of strange 10-way?

Thanks Jazzer
Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

You will need to bleed the air to replace the lines, so get some DOT 5.1 or better fluid. All out race fluid is what I run and minimally more expensive to buy.

Those tires are fine, but certainly designed more for inclimate weather than corners.

You may consider a Bullitt suspension pack. This will include a set of dampers, springs with about a 1" drop, sway bars and be a very nice upgrade in cornering performance. Ride will still be darn nice and have a bit more aggressive look with a moddest drop.

Jazzer
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Matt N

You will need to bleed the air to replace the lines, so get some DOT 5.1 or better fluid. All out race fluid is what I run and minimally more expensive to buy.

Those tires are fine, but certainly designed more for inclimate weather than corners.

You may consider a Bullitt suspension pack. This will include a set of dampers, springs with about a 1" drop, sway bars and be a very nice upgrade in cornering performance. Ride will still be darn nice and have a bit more aggressive look with a moddest drop.

Jazzer
Do you think the MM starter box is worth the money over the Bullitt pack?

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions..