4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust & Emissions - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust & Emissions - What to do?

I live in california where they are strict on emmisions. how ever i do want to finish my exhaust, what have you (who live in cali) done about this? what headers and x pipe should i go with etc etc, any sugguestions?

*I drive a 2000 mustang gt*

after my exhaust is finished my car will be finished as far as bolt-ons go, just feels bad with just cat backs, Thanks!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i dont live in cali, but i do believe shorty headers will work fine, and if you use an off road x or h, just make sure you keep the stock one and swap when its time to get emission tested
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM
!KLeech!
1st Gear Member

really the only thing you need to worry about is the midpipe. I wouldnt ever run an off road x or h pipe due to if you get caught your screwed. just buy a catted h or x pipe and dont worry about it again. Granted the catted ones are more but it will save your butt when it comes to emissions testing.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Anything you get will have to have been certified by CARB (California Air Resources Board) to be 100% legal...
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
i dont live in cali, but i do believe shorty headers will work fine, and if you use an off road x or h, just make sure you keep the stock one and swap when its time to get emission tested

That's what i was thinking, kinda seems like a hassle keeping the old mid-pipe around, how much $$$ you think to swap the pipes every time? and i'd probably have to find a place that's cool with me running an off-road mid pipe yeah?

Thnx again
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't even mess with the mid pipe in CA. Keep it stock and don't worry about it.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Its usually around a hundred or so to have a shop swap the pipe out, however, no reputable muffler shop will install a pipe for you that does not have cats, Thats true even here in my nice red state of NE that doesnt have emissions testing. No shop will do it. Unless you register the car as an off road only vehicle, and never drive but on a track, your better off leaving it alone in Cali.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by !KLeech!
really the only thing you need to worry about is the midpipe. I wouldnt ever run an off road x or h pipe due to if you get caught your screwed. just buy a catted h or x pipe and dont worry about it again. Granted the catted ones are more but it will save your butt when it comes to emissions testing.

Perhaps i just buy a catted x pipe and it probably still wouldn't pass smog with even a catted pipe, just have a bad feeling so, i guess i could buy a catted x pipe and keep stock one as well?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM
onewheat

If you want to do the exhaust in CA, buy a CARB approved catted x-pipe and you'll pass - no problem. I would always hold on to any original parts.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike Hadz
That's what i was thinking, kinda seems like a hassle keeping the old mid-pipe around, how much $$$ you think to swap the pipes every time? and i'd probably have to find a place that's cool with me running an off-road mid pipe yeah?

Thnx again
how much $???? you mean to tell me you cant find 30min to do the swap yourself???? sheesh people are gettin more dependent by the minute...

Quick Reply: Exhaust & Emissions - What to do?