4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How f**ked is my car? ( video )

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Default How f**ked is my car? ( video )

Hey guys i was taking a nice Christmas highway cruise (topped out around 130) anyways as i get off the highway i can feel my shifter just shaking like crazy and vibrating tons, my car is making ticking sounds you can hear towards the end of the video, the car is also producing small amounts of smoke.

(checked oil, and turns out it burnt up around 3/4 of a quart, added more, still running the same ofc)

Possible problem causing scenarios:
1. Changed oil, (may be just a tad too much oil in vehicle)
2. Swapped spark plugs (could not be gapped correctly/installed poorly) (platinum plugs)
3. About a half a bottle low of transmission fluid (another bottle in mail) <- doubtful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUkyr...ature=youtu.be

mods. 3.73's cai/throttle body/plenum spacer short throw shifter, steeda udp.
borla catbacks.

Thank you very much you guys, =[ shame to see my mustang like this, would be cool if anyone here could offer me a quick diagnosis, happy Holidays

Last edited by Mike Hadz; 12-25-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

engine is shaking a bunch even @ idle, as well as eating fuel and creating white smoke
Old 12-25-2011, 07:47 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

White smoke would be coolant. Check your coolant level. Check coolant for signs of oil contamination. Check engine oil for signs of coolant contamination.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
White smoke would be coolant. Check your coolant level. Check coolant for signs of oil contamination. Check engine oil for signs of coolant contamination.
could that cause the engine to shake fairly severely though?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike Hadz
could that cause the engine to shake fairly severely though?

Yes, Blown head gasket=running like s#@t
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sv650lex
Yes, Blown head gasket=running like s#@t
yes blown head gasket was my first thought even though i don't know much yet about engine problems etc, thanks, anyone else your posts are highly appreciated
Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM
RockG

I tend to think samething, blown head gasket. I would stop driving it like that and take it to trusted mechanic. Things can take a turn for the worse quick.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:16 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Pull your oil dipstick and look for a light brown and creamy consistency. That would indicate water getting into the oil. White smoke out the tailpipe indicates water in the combustion chamber. These would point to a bad head gasket.

Check all of your spark plugs and coil connections. One or more misfiring would make the motor run rough and shake. That would not cause white smoke though. However, since you recently changed plugs, I would make sure none of them are messed up. Also, double check that you installed the correct length plugs. Plugs that are too long could create a real problem if they were the wrong plugs. Be VERY careful about torque when you are installing plugs.

Keep us informed of what you find as you investigate further.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Blown head gasket. Same thing happened to me with my 96 GT, in fact it's what spurred me to do the 4V swap. Do a compression test to confirm.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
Blown head gasket. Same thing happened to me with my 96 GT, in fact it's what spurred me to do the 4V swap. Do a compression test to confirm.
i'm such a noob, but how do you do a 4v swap/how much would it run me/power gains? =}!!!

Quick Reply: How f**ked is my car? ( video )