4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Married SCT tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Default Married SCT tuner question

I'm sure this has been asked a million times , but wanted some insight. Looking for a cheap tuner . Would like an SCT so if it's cheap means it's used .... I found one that is married to a car the seller no longer owns and I know I would have to send it to SCT to be unlocked for 150.00 dollars , but what I wanted to know is if I send it to be unlocked will it then have the 3 canned tunes for my car when it's returned to me ? Never had a tuner or messed with one , so I'm in the dark about it. I heard can tunes are junk, but a custom dyno tune isn't in the budget right now .
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

It should just have the 3 standard tunes on it after its unlocked. Nice thing is SCT also updates the firmware. I did it the way your thinking about it. The turnaround time isnt all that bad either. I didnt use the stock tunes though, I had brenspeed write one for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

So if i get it unlocked and wanted brenspeed to write me a tune what would that cost ? And would it be worth have a custom tune written with just a few bolt ons that I have ?
Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

One custom tune is 75 dollars. 3 for 150. And yes, to me it was worth it, they wrote a pretty good tune for me, and i dont have that many bolt-ons. Im gonna have them write me a new tune when my fuel injectors get here. You can also use bama tunes as well, american muscle is a vendor for them, i hear they are pretty good. Do some research, there are a few places out there for tunes.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:13 PM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

If you are wanting something cheap but would prefer new go with an SCT 4 Bank Eliminator chip from AM with 3 custom bama tunes.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-4b...om-9904gt.html
Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brent22
If you are wanting something cheap but would prefer new go with an SCT 4 Bank Eliminator chip from AM with 3 custom bama tunes.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-4b...om-9904gt.html
This is one way to go. However, you will not be able to change for tire sizes and gears pull codes or anything like that. But if you dont need that stuff you sure can get away with installing that chip. I looked at it rather hard myself.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

That's not a bad deal , but I would like to be able to adjust for gears cause I already have 3.73's. Not sure if the SCT does it, but would like to shut off rear 02's so I can throw my MIL eliminators in the trash. LOL Some food for thought. If i can get a good enough deal on the tuner then maybe I can come out ahead. Steve if you dont mind me asking what did you pay for your used tuner or atleast what do you think is a fair price on a used married one ?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supersnake67
That's not a bad deal , but I would like to be able to adjust for gears cause I already have 3.73's. Not sure if the SCT does it, but would like to shut off rear 02's so I can throw my MIL eliminators in the trash. LOL Some food for thought. If i can get a good enough deal on the tuner then maybe I can come out ahead. Steve if you dont mind me asking what did you pay for your used tuner or atleast what do you think is a fair price on a used married one ?
I think you may be better off just finding a used unmarried one I paid $175 for my used diablo unmarried then after I got my blower I found out my tuner uses sct to tune so I sold my used diablo/unmarried it for $175 and picked up a used/unmarried sct tuner for $180. My older diablo could shu off the rear o2s but i heard the newer sct and diablo's dont have the option to shut off the rear o2s. But they can be shut off through a dyno tune.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

One more question . What if the tuner is NOT married to the car and was returned to stock . Am I then able to use it without sending it out ???
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Funny you wrote that just found an unmarried one for 150.00 so was just curious if I would have to send it out. Any questions I should ask like how many tunes left before it locks just in case I want to do more future mods ?

Quick Reply: Married SCT tuner question