4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Parts ordered...how much $ and rwhp???

Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
lil oh

Question Parts ordered...how much $ and rwhp???

I just ordered a few parts and I'm curious what others think I'll be putting down and paying out (including labor).

Clutch (not sure brand but stage 1 $250 range)
FRPP 3.73 gears
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ custom tune
MGW short throw shifter
SLP catted X pipe (labor should be free with tranny out)

I ordered the parts through a shop specializing in mustangs thats also installing everything. I have an SLP LM2 catback and BBK CAI now. Hoping this puts me at 250rwhp and costs less than $2k. Realistic?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:27 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

No reason why you can't hit 250 to the ground....
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I'd say that's going to be around $1700 for parts and labor.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I would guess you'll gain around 10-12rwhp if you get a 93oct tune made. That means I'm guessing you'll be at 250rwhp if you are currently at 238-240rwhp.

Most of your listed parts won't change your rwhp. The tune should gain you some power across the entire power range, and the catted-X may gain you a tiny bit at peak.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it turns out!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 AM
lil oh

So total is a little over $2k but I want it done right and this shop is the best around.

There actually going to do a tune before putting in the new clutch and then I'll go back in the spring once its broken in to get it tuned again. Since the SLP catted X wont be on when the tune is done I'll be able to get an idea of how much rwhp this x pipe puts out.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Most of your listed parts won't change your rwhp. The tune should gain you some power across the entire power range, and the catted-X may gain you a tiny bit at peak.
Almost the same thing I was going to say!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by lil oh
So total is a little over $2k but I want it done right and this shop is the best around.

There actually going to do a tune before putting in the new clutch and then I'll go back in the spring once its broken in to get it tuned again. Since the SLP catted X wont be on when the tune is done I'll be able to get an idea of how much rwhp this x pipe puts out.

Why waste the money to do it before? The X pipe is NOT gonna give you that much extra to waste the money on tuning it a 2nd time....

Are they telling you that you need to wait until it is broke in before putting it on the dyno?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
lil oh

There going to tune it before the clutch just to get the air/fuel ratio right with my catback and CAI. After the clutch is broken in, I'll go back and get it tuned again just to make sure I'm getting the most out of the mods.

Both tunes are free so thats not a concern...benefit of doing all the work and ordering the parts through them.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
lil oh

It's taking me a month to get over the results (and cost) of the work done to my stang...it only puts down 241rwhp and after installing the clutch and STS, the shop determined I need a new tranny (ahh!) to smooth out shifting and eliminate the tranny noise when in neutral.

I also now have a new grinding noise when shifting into 5th gear...hoping to get that figured out from the shop in a week or two but I wouldn't doubt they'll just say its related to the bad tranny even though there was no noise before install of clutch, STS and gears...so looks like I'll be looking for a tranny...think I could get a new tranny installed for less than $1500??? Maybe a rebuilt one?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes you could but thats if you bring in your own trans probably lol. Shops like to over charge.

you do need a rebuilt though from the sounds of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parts ordered...how much $ and rwhp???