4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Halo Projector Headlights Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
OneSik03

Default Halo Projector Headlights Question

I am about to purchase a new set of headlights, and I have a fairly simple question. This is not my area of expertise at all! I am going to purchase the Raxiom Smoked Halo Projector Headlights for my '03 Mustang GT from American Muscle, but I am confused on what type of bulb I can upgrade to. I want a more pure blue light and see a lot about Luminics, but what kind do I get? I have seen some get H1 and some 9007. Which ones?? Someone please educate me a little bit about what my options are.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM
seanyd2318

It says on american muscle "These Projector Headlights include H7 bulbs for low beams and H1 bulbs for high beams." I am pretty sure the OEM lights, which are not projectors, are 9007's and will not fit the new projector headlights.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
OneSik03

Thanks for quick reply. Yes I do see that on the item details now. If that's the case, then do you know why the guy in the install video would upgrade to Luminics H1 bulbs if H1's are already included?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Most likely because the bulbs they come with are not top of the line brand. I hear the sylvania (silverstars?) are good replacement bulbs. You wont really get that bluish light from them though. Youll have to go HID for that, and the Blue HID are not as bright as white HID. The Higher Kelvin you go the less lumins they put out.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
OneSik03

Thanks! Yeah I am not necessarily looking to do a full HID upgrade, but I definitely want a fresher color than the stock headlights. I am leaning towards luminics. Any thoughts on that or other brands?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Not really. I got my smoked raxioms and the light output sux! So im gonna go with HID's. Like 4300K -5000K range to get the light output back. I have heard (read) alot of good things about the sylvania bulbs, most say they are worth the upgrade. As far as the luminics I have read they are better than the stock, but not by a whole lot. Keep in mind this is not my personal experience speaking..Just my own research.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Philips X-Treme Power,Philips Crystal Vision Ultra,GE nighthawks,never used any of them personally, but they get good reviews on HIDplanet. and remeber its still a halogen bulb..its only going to do so much. Oh and stay away from any bulb thats got a blue coating.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StockD15b
Philips X-Treme Power,Philips Crystal Vision Ultra,GE nighthawks,never used any of them personally, but they get good reviews on HIDplanet. and remeber its still a halogen bulb..its only going to do so much. Oh and stay away from any bulb thats got a blue coating.
Agree with this! No blue coated halogens...best guess is nearly any name brand bulb will be better than the ones that come with the headlight assembly..they likely use the cheapest possible...they are made in china after all..
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM
OneSik03

Originally Posted by stevednmc
Not really. I got my smoked raxioms and the light output sux! So im gonna go with HID's. Like 4300K -5000K range to get the light output back. I have heard (read) alot of good things about the sylvania bulbs, most say they are worth the upgrade. As far as the luminics I have read they are better than the stock, but not by a whole lot. Keep in mind this is not my personal experience speaking..Just my own research.
Thanks everyone for the help, especially about avoiding the blue coating because I was probably going to end up getting those. So, I obviously don't want to purchase something that I will end up not being happy with. So should I go ahead and get the HID kit from the start. If I do, can I use HID's with the raxiom projector assemblies? Please excuse my ignorance, but I have absolutely no experience with HID's. Can someone point me in the right direction to get started or learn more about them? Best type for the fresh type of lighting I am looking for? I'm not looking to blind everyone, but definitely something very noticeable.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

HID Kits in the stock halogen headlights will improve visiabilty. But at a price. It creates lots and lots of glare.
The first picture is my old set up. HID Kit in the stock headlights, notice the two patterns of beam right above cut off. Those would light up overhead signs on the freeway from like 300ft out(thats not a good thing lol)

You could put HID's in the projector headlights you mentioned, but again. There desined for halogen lights so the results will be better but still not perfect. 2nd pic is an example of HID projectors vs Halogen projectors with HID bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails Halo Projector Headlights Question-imag0494-1.jpg   Halo Projector Headlights Question-hidhalogen.jpg  

Quick Reply: Halo Projector Headlights Question