4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ATTN: Cliffyk - or others with IAC/O2 sensor knowledge

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
AuburnStang00
1st Gear Member

Default ATTN: Cliffyk - or others with IAC/O2 sensor knowledge

I saw on your page you mention there are cheap $12 MIL elims. Where can i find these i have looked and havent found any. Also know where I can get some cheaper o2 sensors. I think im gonna buy a non cat replace on the exhaust for my P0420 error about bank failing in catalytic convertor because its cheaper then put the elims on the front and replace my rear o2 sensors. Also i let the car run hot and unplugged my electrical connector in the IAC valve. The car did not struggle or stall so im guessing its bad like you said. When i plugged it back in it did pep up some but didnt struggle without it like you mentioned it should. Well if you have any insight on those MILs and sensors I sure would appreciate it man. I think i could prolly get that saudered like in the diagram you have...i reckon i could try but i feel like i would screw it up. Do you just sauder end connectors on too or how does it plug in??? Thanks anyone who has helpful insight
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 PM
AuburnStang00
1st Gear Member

Bump...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:43 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by AuburnStang00
I saw on your page you mention there are cheap $12 MIL elims. Where can i find these i have looked and havent found any. Also know where I can get some cheaper o2 sensors. I think im gonna buy a non cat replace on the exhaust for my P0420 error about bank failing in catalytic convertor because its cheaper then put the elims on the front and replace my rear o2 sensors. Also i let the car run hot and unplugged my electrical connector in the IAC valve. The car did not struggle or stall so im guessing its bad like you said. When i plugged it back in it did pep up some but didnt struggle without it like you mentioned it should. Well if you have any insight on those MILs and sensors I sure would appreciate it man. I think i could prolly get that saudered like in the diagram you have...i reckon i could try but i feel like i would screw it up. Do you just sauder end connectors on too or how does it plug in??? Thanks anyone who has helpful insight
I saw this when it was first posted but it gave me a headache trying to read it. However since I just got back from a nice 50 mile ride on my scoot, and am just sitting here tossing back a few, I will wade through the blob of text and make it readable (ignoring the spelling, capitalization, punctuation and grammatical errors) so that I can reply to your questions:

Originally Posted by AuburnStang00
I saw on your page you mention there are cheap $12 MIL elims. Where can i find these i have looked and havent found any.

Also know where I can get some cheaper o2 sensors.

I think im gonna buy a non cat replace on the exhaust for my P0420 error about bank failing in catalytic convertor because its cheaper then put the elims on the front and replace my rear o2 sensors.

Also i let the car run hot and unplugged my electrical connector in the IAC valve. The car did not struggle or stall so im guessing its bad like you said. When i plugged it back in it did pep up some but didnt struggle without it like you mentioned it should.

Well if you have any insight on those MILs and sensors I sure would appreciate it man. I think i could prolly get that saudered like in the diagram you have...i reckon i could try but i feel like i would screw it up. Do you just sauder end connectors on too or how does it plug in???

Thanks anyone who has helpful insight

I saw on your page you mention there are cheap $12 MIL elims. Where can i find these i have looked and havent found any.

The cheap universal MIL eliminators seem to not be as widely available, if at all, as they were when I wrote that article back in late 2004. I did a quick Google search for "MIL Eliminator" and found only plug 'n play units and my own article (hit #4, not too bad).

Also know where I can get some cheaper o2 sensors.

O2 sensors are still pretty cheap these days, $40 to $50 at most FLAPS. You can get the Bosch part number from the FLAPS online listing and search eBay, I have picked 'em up for as little as $12 brand new. I got a spare for my Innovate wideband system for $30 shipped (which means of course the one installed on my car will never fail--cheap insurance I guess)

I think im gonna buy a non cat replace on the exhaust for my P0420 error about bank failing in catalytic convertor because its cheaper then put the elims on the front and replace my rear o2 sensors.

MIL eliminators go on the rear O2 sensors only. The front sensors are used by the PCM to control the engine, obviously they must be installed and fully functional. The rear sensors only monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converters, even when using MIL eliminators the rear sensors must be installed and functional--the MIL eliminator filters their signal to trick the PCM into believing the cats are there and working.

Also i let the car run hot and unplugged my electrical connector in the IAC valve. The car did not struggle or stall so im guessing its bad like you said. When i plugged it back in it did pep up some but didnt struggle without it like you mentioned it should.

It sounds as though the IAC is sticking or stuck. Some people have reported success cleaning it with TB cleaner, WD-40 and the like; generally this has been at best a temporary fix, I'd just buy a new one.

Well if you have any insight on those MILs and sensors I sure would appreciate it man. I think i could prolly get that saudered like in the diagram you have...i reckon i could try but i feel like i would screw it up. Do you just sauder end connectors on too or how does it plug in???

Soldering the resistor and capacitor is easy, there are a number of soldering tutorials on the web and you can practice to your heart's content on scrap wire.

I suggest using crimped butt connectors,

filled with dielectric grease and properly crimped using a full compression crimping tool. With compression crimping a crimp-on connector is every bit as good as soldering. Also many O2 sensors use monel or stainless wire that cannot be soft soldered.

Do NOT use one of the crummy squashing crimpers found at home supply, chain hardware stores, etc.--like this one:

If a tool like this is all you have then first throw it away, you would be better off using your teeth to mash the connector. If you don't care to by a proper crimping tool then use wire nuts (filled with dielectric grease). Whichever is used a few wraps of electrical tape over the connection will keep the dielectric grease in place and keep road crud out.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
AuburnStang00
1st Gear Member

Wow i did butcher that. Sorry about that. Thanks for the reply
Old 01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

No problem, I just wanted to stress the value of effective communications. You will find in life that the quality of answers is directly proportional to the quality of the questions...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
No problem, I just wanted to stress the value of effective communications. You will find in life that the quality of answers is directly proportional to the quality of the questions...
No lie. The original post looked like a drunk post.