4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear sway bar question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Calling it a [anti-]sway bar does not make it one, especially since the motion it is intended to control is roll. Calling a cow's tail a leg does not mean a cow has five legs either.

Ford's engineers call it a stabilizer...
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

TRUE, just because I haven't noticed any difference in my daily commutes by removing the front "sway" or "stabilizer" or whatever in the hell you call it bar doesn't mean I shouldn't bother with suspension mods. Hell, do you kick around every corner you have the chance to or try to make every single turn to and from work as extreme as possible??? I know I sure as hell don't, which is probably why I haven't noticed the difference. Have you ever removed your front whatever bar?? If not (and I'm assuming you haven't since you posted such a ridiculous comment), give it a try before you judge my ability to appreciate performance upgrades. You will quickly find the darn thing does hardly anything but add an additional 5-10lbs to the front of your car... (once again, talking about daily commutes here)

I am primarily doing these mods for increased 1/4 mile performance, which they will undoubtedly accomplish. I don't see how removing the front nor both bars would negatively affect a 1/4 mile run? In fact I've heard from several "interwebz" sources that say removing the front bar will (VERY slightly) help out in the quarter. I may try to reattach the rear bar once I finish installing the panhard bar, but it is seriously a hassle that hardly seems worth the trouble if I will only notice a *SMALL* amount of over/under steer (according to Jazzer's comment) more than I would normally see with both still attached.

Thanks for (most of) the replies!

Last edited by trailor; 01-11-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Jazzer now dubs "whatever bar" as the replacement nomenclature for sway-bar

Jazzer... ribbin' The Cliffster
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

TRAILOR,
I do in fact remove my front bar at home EVERY TIME before I go to the drag strip(this allows for better fore/aft weight transfer and drops around 18lbs off the front of the car), so I DO know exactly what a car feels like without the front bar. My car is a bitch to drive with the front bar removed. I absolutely wouldn't say the difference is not significant.

On occasion, I have to drive my car to work on a Monday with the front bar still removed. I am VERY conservative in my street driving, but exit ramps and the like are a little unnerving with no front bar. My 35 mile commute, consists of a lot of town driving with a short stint on the highway.

I'm not trying to engage in a pissing match here. My comment is that if you truly can't tell a difference in handling with the front bar removed, you are spending a lot of money to gain what is arguably a less noticeable change in your car's handling.

I don't consider myself an expert, but I do have 27 years experience with aftermarket suspensions. The bars are a significant component in a suspension.

Last edited by TRUEBLUE3934; 01-11-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: additional comment