4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Black 2000 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Black 2000 Mustang GT

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

We're trying to keep the kid off NOS. I know this is a ricer story but,

My friend had a 2000 Honda Civic (2dr coupe model, dunno what the little #s were). Anyhow, he set up his car for a 200 shot of nos, did all the internals etc. Well, when he went to hit it, he threw a rod literally out of the block, and for some reason his fuel line was damaged (or something, im not sure exactly what I didnt read the accident report), and his car caught fire and exploded. He didn't survive. Not to scare you, but yea. He was 17.
Anyhow, NOS may be cheap, but without the expensive mods to make the car safe to properly nos, it isnt worth it. And keep in mind of mechanical skill level, if he can't do it himself, he'll need to take it to a shop, so you'd have to add shop costs to it as well.

honestly, the others are right, when you should concentrate on driving rather than racing. But if you must race, or what have you, stick with CAI, headers, x-pipe, exhaust, (if you're state doesn't require emission consider o/r pips w/o the cats, though some cats out there now are only 1-2 HP behind non-catted pipes). I'd also get a short-throw shifter (steeda is best), and work on you're shifts.

Racing is more driver skill than anything. Faster cars help, but skill is paramount. I've taken down a 96 cobra (unknown mods) with my 02 v6 (AT)[mods: MAC CAI, K&N Filter), because he missed his first 3 shifts (the grinding was horrible). I'd say we were no longer than 1/8 mile.

Just one question, I personally can barely afford to get a 2000+ GT, how did you (and you're friends) get those cars, and honestly, what are youngin's doing with that much power as a first car :-p

(then again my first car was a 1990 taurus SHO (32valve DOHC)
Nitrous Itself IS NOT flammable. I think you need to turn off the fast and the furious for a minute. His car might have caught on fire, but it wasnt b/c of the NITROUS catching fire. Its not really that scary unless yoy dont know what you are doing.Like shooting 200hp on an illprepared 4banger. (no offense to your friend, I didnt mean he was an idiot, he just did something not so smart)

I know 04blueGT allready backed me up, but before flaming into a post telling me I am lying, read the entire post. I said something was wrong with his fuel lines, I didn't get the full explination, but even I know that Nos doesn't explode in and of itself. Reread what I posted, then come talk. As to him being an idiot? I totally agree, we all told him not to put nos in his car in the first place, but, like most young kids, he watches movies, and movies have fast cars, and he wanted to be like them. And I agree with 04blueGT. Power exceeded skill, and someone was killed, that reinforces my point.
and for some reason his fuel line was damaged (or something, im not sure exactly what I didnt read the accident report), [b]and his car caught fire and exploded.
It was caused from a spark from metal on metal contact, his engine wasn't properly setup and it threw a rod, I know that isn't unheard of, just rare.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I once hit a possum going pretty fast. all it hit was the front tire.

why don't you guys explain how to use nitrous instead of acting like it's the most dangerous thing on earth? and I don't recall the poster asking for multiple lectures on why he shouldn't be allowed to drive a v8.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Yeah agreed. I'm 16 - I drive a 94 5.0. I bought it all myself and I heard my fair share of crap about being "too young" to drive the car, its too nice of a car for a first car, you dont deserve that, ect. If you have the means to do something there is no reason that you shouldnt be able to do it. If you are stupid with the car or get a ticket from racing or whatever, its not because you are 16 its because you were being dumb. Congratulations on the car and I would start with either 3.73s or 4.10s. That should put you closer to your friends cars.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:45 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

We're trying to keep the kid off NOS. I know this is a ricer story but,

My friend had a 2000 Honda Civic (2dr coupe model, dunno what the little #s were). Anyhow, he set up his car for a 200 shot of nos, did all the internals etc. Well, when he went to hit it, he threw a rod literally out of the block, and for some reason his fuel line was damaged (or something, im not sure exactly what I didnt read the accident report), and his car caught fire and exploded. He didn't survive. Not to scare you, but yea. He was 17.
Anyhow, NOS may be cheap, but without the expensive mods to make the car safe to properly nos, it isnt worth it. And keep in mind of mechanical skill level, if he can't do it himself, he'll need to take it to a shop, so you'd have to add shop costs to it as well.

honestly, the others are right, when you should concentrate on driving rather than racing. But if you must race, or what have you, stick with CAI, headers, x-pipe, exhaust, (if you're state doesn't require emission consider o/r pips w/o the cats, though some cats out there now are only 1-2 HP behind non-catted pipes). I'd also get a short-throw shifter (steeda is best), and work on you're shifts.

Racing is more driver skill than anything. Faster cars help, but skill is paramount. I've taken down a 96 cobra (unknown mods) with my 02 v6 (AT)[mods: MAC CAI, K&N Filter), because he missed his first 3 shifts (the grinding was horrible). I'd say we were no longer than 1/8 mile.

Just one question, I personally can barely afford to get a 2000+ GT, how did you (and you're friends) get those cars, and honestly, what are youngin's doing with that much power as a first car :-p

(then again my first car was a 1990 taurus SHO (32valve DOHC)
Nitrous Itself IS NOT flammable. I think you need to turn off the fast and the furious for a minute. His car might have caught on fire, but it wasnt b/c of the NITROUS catching fire. Its not really that scary unless yoy dont know what you are doing.Like shooting 200hp on an illprepared 4banger. (no offense to your friend, I didnt mean he was an idiot, he just did something not so smart)

I know 04blueGT allready backed me up, but before flaming into a post telling me I am lying, read the entire post. I said something was wrong with his fuel lines, I didn't get the full explination, but even I know that Nos doesn't explode in and of itself. Reread what I posted, then come talk. As to him being an idiot? I totally agree, we all told him not to put nos in his car in the first place, but, like most young kids, he watches movies, and movies have fast cars, and he wanted to be like them. And I agree with 04blueGT. Power exceeded skill, and someone was killed, that reinforces my point.
and for some reason his fuel line was damaged (or something, im not sure exactly what I didnt read the accident report), [b]and his car caught fire and exploded.
It was caused from a spark from metal on metal contact, his engine wasn't properly setup and it threw a rod, I know that isn't unheard of, just rare.
I wasnt flaming on anyone. I read the entire post as well. My point came across as you didnt know what you were talking about or that you are lying, and thats not what i meant. I was just explaing to others that contrary to popular belief, Nitrous+fire is not equivalent to an atomic bomb like people think. I also put in my post that i meant no offense to your unfourtnate friend. I just didnt understand the entire situation of the exploding car. Apology offered
Old 10-21-2005, 08:48 AM
hwy1strat
2nd Gear Member

Nice car. I'm fifteen and I got a 1995 mustang v6 5 speed. I wanted a v8 but my parents wouldn't let me so o well. They said i can get one in a few years. but i'd get a new intake manifold, a cold air kit, headers, new throttle boddy, gears, and a tuning chip.