4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

To Threadsert or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

Default To Threadsert or not

Ok so this past week I blew a plug out of the head of my 00 gt. I got a kit to fix it. Today I go to fix it and use the first tap to clean out the existing threads, I packed it full of grease to catch the shavings and I did get quite a bit of shavings. I clean out the threads and tried the spark plug in it. Went right in with no issues and tightened down tight with no loose feeling like you know when the threads are getting ready to let go.

I put her all back together after running just a tap through the existing hole. Runs great, no more tick, and I did a couple of 5500 rpm pulls too and it stayed together.

So should I leave it till it blows again, take it out and maybe put on some blue threadlocker on the plug to help hold it in or just do the threadsert cause I will eventually need it. This is my 6th vehicle that has had a 4.6 in it, and I have always known about the spark plug problem in them but haven't had to deal with it till my current mustang.

Thanks

Zack
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I had to use an insert in my wife's Miata about 95,000 miles ago and have had NO issues with that plug since. You will probably be OK unless you mod to increase cyl pressure.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

Ya boost it way off in the future. By then I may have another motor.lol
Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 AM
!KLeech!
1st Gear Member

since youve threadserted it you should have no issues, my old 2000 had to have one and i beat the tar out of it for 20k+ miles after that and it never missed a beat. i wouldnt recomend putting thread lock on your spark plugs, use never seize. the problem comes from the plugs seizing up in there and eating at that threads as it vibrates it. never seize the threads on the new plug and forget it.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Fillerdust
Ok so this past week I blew a plug out of the head of my 00 gt. I got a kit to fix it. Today I go to fix it and use the first tap to clean out the existing threads, I packed it full of grease to catch the shavings and I did get quite a bit of shavings. I clean out the threads and tried the spark plug in it. Went right in with no issues and tightened down tight with no loose feeling like you know when the threads are getting ready to let go.
What kit (manufacturer) did you get, I am assuming you placed the insert in too? From what you state above it sounds as though you did not install the insert???

I put her all back together after running just a tap through the existing hole. Runs great, no more tick, and I did a couple of 5500 rpm pulls too and it stayed together.

So should I leave it till it blows again, take it out and maybe put on some blue threadlocker on the plug to help hold it in or just do the threadsert cause I will eventually need it. This is my 6th vehicle that has had a 4.6 in it, and I have always known about the spark plug problem in them but haven't had to deal with it till my current mustang.

Thanks

Zack