4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by EODMustang
@cliffyk: The PCV valve is on top of the driver's side valve cover. It has a hose running from it, across the top of the engine, that is connected to the inlet tube, after the MAF and before the compressor.
Unless things were greatly re-configured for your blower, the PCV valve should be on the passenger's side cam cover, connected by a vacuum hose to the rear of the upper plenum--what you describe is the PCV fresh air intake plumbing.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Is that fresh air intake plumbing bad to remove since it's part of the PCV system...its just soo ugly haha.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It can create problems as removing it, and keeping the PCV active, will cause a pretty good sized "leak" of unmetered (not measured by the MAF) air into the intake--I.e. air the PCM will not know about which could result in a lean mixture under load when the PCV system is doing most of its job.

What are you goals for this car? Is it to be a show car, track car, daily driver or what? All of that influences what is "good or bad" about removing the PCV system.

As to the "ugly" issue, I find nothing that makes the engine run better and last longer to be at all ugly--it just is what it is. Get some sort of silly plastic cover for the whole engine like they do on the newer models...
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

I mean i want to take it to the track and have a decent looking engine bay. Ive had problems with mine popping off lately too...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Unless things were greatly re-configured for your blower, the PCV valve should be on the passenger's side cam cover, connected by a vacuum hose to the rear of the upper plenum--what you describe is the PCV fresh air intake plumbing.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. My idea is to put a rebreather on top of the valve cover where the hose comes out of, then block off the inlet tube between the MAF and the blower so not to draw unmetered air. This will prevent the uptake of oil and carbon that I'm getting in the cold side of my turbo system. The only thing I'm worried about is if the rebreather is going to allow the gases to be scavenged off the top of the head, without the vacuum there anymore.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by EODMustang
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. My idea is to put a rebreather on top of the valve cover where the hose comes out of, then block off the inlet tube between the MAF and the blower so not to draw unmetered air. This will prevent the uptake of oil and carbon that I'm getting in the cold side of my turbo system. The only thing I'm worried about is if the rebreather is going to allow the gases to be scavenged off the top of the head, without the vacuum there anymore.
It will, only to a very small extent--0.1% as well as the PCV system.

However if you almost always make long enough trips that the engine runs at full temperature for 15 to 20 minutes (actually runs, under some load, not idling); and do not idle the engine for long periods; and most importantly change the oil often (which should be done with a turbo anyway) you will be OK
Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

It will, only to a very small extent--0.1% as well as the PCV system.

However if you almost always make long enough trips that the engine runs at full temperature for 15 to 20 minutes (actually runs, under some load, not idling); and do not idle the engine for long periods; and most importantly change the oil often (which should be done with a turbo anyway) you will be OK
Almost all of my trips are long enough duration that the engine operates at full temperature for the majority of the time the car is running, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and give this a try. Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
Thanks for answering my questions Cliff!

I realize that it has no negative impact on performance, as that is not my reason for asking those questions.

When I preformed my motor swap a couple days ago I used the 96-98 cobra style cam covers which don't like the 97 lincoln intake tube routing so much, so I put a plug in the pcv hole on the pass. side and tryed just running the PCV valve that is in the drivers cam cover.

This was causing me to pull vacuum in the crankcase that was not escaping until I pulled the dipstick out some to relieve the suction.

So, in the interest of prolonging the life of the engine I will track down at least one COP cam cover.

Also, are valve cover gaskets reusable? (I know that sounds dumb, but if I can be cheap I'm going to)
Uh don't plug a PCV outlet just because it's inconvenient, that's a good way to get leaks and piston blowby. Either reroute the line or use a breather. A breather isn't the greatest solution but it's better than plugging the outlet altogether.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^-yup...

To be 100% clear you should have a breather on both cam covers if you remove the PCV valve. Though the atmosphere's of the cam/valve train areas in both heads are "connected", it is only through the crankcase that any transfer of blow-by and other nastiness can occur--so make sure both cam covers have breathers.

BTW, you will find that those breathers will load up with oil and other crap and need to be cleaned regularly--if not the smelliest, stickiest and nastiest crap you ever saw will leak out and run down the cam covers...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

^-yup...

To be 100% clear you should have a breather on both cam covers if you remove the PCV valve. Though the atmosphere's of the cam/valve train areas in both heads are "connected", it is only through the crankcase that any transfer of blow-by and other nastiness can occur--so make sure both cam covers have breathers.

BTW, you will find that those breathers will load up with oil and other crap and need to be cleaned regularly--if not the smelliest, stickiest and nastiest crap you ever saw will leak out and run down the cam covers...
I went ahead and did everything about an hour ago. I used the rubber elbow on the driver's side valve cover with a plastic coupler and a rebreather. The same rebreather also fit snugly into the hole intended for the PCV valve on the passenger side head. I capped off the inlet tube near the blower and the one on the side of the UIP. I'll keep an eye on the filters to make sure they don't get too nasty.