4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Calling the Suspension Gurus!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Calling the Suspension Gurus!

My suspension setup is in desperate need of upgrade and I need some advice on which things to go with.

Ultimate goal for the car is a fast street machine that can carve the corners.

Eventually CO's will go on later on down the road.

First thing I need is a tire that offers the best cost/performance. Don't need all season, but drag radials are no good as they wear quickly I hear. I plan to buy wheels at the same time so widths are not an issue. Any recommendations? Nitto's look nice but not sure if they are quality....

Next I was thinking MM FLSFC's, followed by some of the Jazzer approved MM control arms (uppers and lowers?)

Then once that stuff is done go for some CO's with CC plates for a nice drop and a sizeable handling upgrade. (reason I'm going with coil overs is due to reading many people that started with lowering springs and ending on CO's and wish they had done it sooner.)

Maybe someday down the line in a year, or, maybe more go for some kind of tubular K-member.

I feel that for no more than I plan to take it to any kind of a track that I have a hard time justifying a watts link or PHB or torque arm.

P.S. NVH isn't a concern I have extremely loud mufflers and a loud stereo, and the roads in my county absolutely suck so it can't get much worse than the 1 ton pickup I drove for a year or so.

I have read Jazzers guide and done some moderate searching, and was wondering if I am on the right track with this setup.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:43 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I feel like you have a reasonable plan in mind based on what you wrote. TIRES are probably the most important component if you want to carve corners on the street.

FLSFC are a must. CC Plates will be needed. Coil-overs are an excellent choice. Upgrading the LCA are a good move(I wouldn't mess with the uppers). I would possibly reconsider your thoughts on the PHB and TA. I felt a nice improvement in the precision of handling with the PHB, and I am still considering an upgrade to the TA. Do your research on the tubular K-members so you are disappointed later. A K is a nice upgrade, if you select a good one.

A call to MM for a discussion with a tech would be another recommendation. Those guys are pretty sharp when it comes to suspensions and MM makes excellent quality parts.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you want really want to carve corners, you cannot have a set of UCA's under your ride You will also need a tire suited for such needs, as you will need to go one direction or the other for grip. Straight-line tires and cornering tires are different animals, so you pretty much need to choose your poison. You are also going to have to reconcile a quicker wearing tire for grip. If you want to rip corners, you have to rip open your wallet. You don't "have" to buy "R" comps, but will need to go well beyond what an NT555 will offer, for example.

My recommendation is you consider a Grip Box from MM. Even if you need to build it one or a few parts at a time, this will help to ensure your suspension works well together, when you are all done building it.

Jazzer
Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Jazz hit the nail on the head with making sure the parts all work together well. Buying all the 'right parts' doesn't mean they are the right parts when put together. If you ensure it's all working in harmony, you'll be far better off.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

LilRoush speaketh words of harmony
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

White and Black cars can live in harmony
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

NEVER!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
If you want really want to carve corners, you cannot have a set of UCA's under your ride You will also need a tire suited for such needs, as you will need to go one direction or the other for grip. Straight-line tires and cornering tires are different animals, so you pretty much need to choose your poison. You are also going to have to reconcile a quicker wearing tire for grip. If you want to rip corners, you have to rip open your wallet. You don't "have" to buy "R" comps, but will need to go well beyond what an NT555 will offer, for example.

My recommendation is you consider a Grip Box from MM. Even if you need to build it one or a few parts at a time, this will help to ensure your suspension works well together, when you are all done building it.

Jazzer
Thanks for settin' me straight on this one Jazzer! :P

I will look into MM's Grip Boxes for one that I like, that encompases all of your guidelines

Do you have any specific tire that you recommend for street use, that offers decent grip while still providing tread life? Not really sure if this is one of those situations where you can't have both, but would be nice if I could.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I've found that when it comes to tires, you have to find the middle ground to suit your needs best. Personally, I've run BFG KD and KDW for awhile and have been very happy. They do have a lot of road noise, and most won't want that in a street car. I just switched to a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (got a steal of a price on them). Much quieter, but a little less on the grip side of things.
I've run the Nitto NT555 and 555 road race tire and won't do that again. Also wasn't impressed with the Michelin PS2 set that I tried.

Again, that's just me... get a lot of opinions, and go from there.