MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   sct tune issues (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/662317-sct-tune-issues.html)

ctgreddy 01-24-2012 07:04 AM

sct tune issues

I just got an sct chip for my car with a few tunes on it(made for my car). Now when i'm just cruising around it'll shift to 2nd kinda hard, not really hard but "firm and quick". also when slowing down you can feel it downshift. I'm coming from a special forces tuner and those dont do squat with the 4r70 so for all I know this is normal? those of you with sct tunes on your auto's hows it drive? It doesnt really feel bad just different. I've also only put about 15 miles on it so it might just be learning how I drive again and will get better.

Franchi 01-24-2012 07:27 AM

Sounds about right. Who wrote the tune?

ctgreddy 01-24-2012 07:42 AM

Willie lynch did it. He did a mail order for my '95 and it was perfect so figured I'd go thru him again.

!KLeech! 01-24-2012 08:10 AM

my old 2000 GT was an auto, and from what your saying it sounds about how mine felt. youll definetely be able to fell the shifts alot more. I know it feels totally different going from nothing in the tune for the transmission to having things changed.

WannaBeGearHead 01-24-2012 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ctgreddy (Post 7816128)
Willie lynch did it. He did a mail order for my '95 and it was perfect so figured I'd go thru him again.

Willie Lynch is the man. I ordered my PRP software from him and he's been very helpful.

My car had the same feelings as yours did when I loaded up my 91 octane tune. 2nd was firm and you could feel that downshift. It's just how SCT base tune is set up. Since I have the PRP software I went into the tune and softened the upshift and downshift. Now it has a very smooth, "soft" shift that feels like stock but at WOT it shifts hard which is awesome.

I'm sure if you called him and told him the issues he could adjust it for you.

ctgreddy 01-24-2012 02:07 PM

yup your right wannabe. I talked to willie about it and he said it is indeed normal, and that he could soften it up for me if I wanted, however since I have a chip and that'd involve pulling it, shipping it, then putting it back in after a week, i'll prolly just get used to it. It doesn't bother me but just something i'm not used to so wanted to make sure nothing bad was happening.

WannaBeGearHead 01-24-2012 05:19 PM

Softening it up really does make a nice difference. I didn't like the firm shifts at part throttle so I changed it.

I also didn't like how 2nd gear seemed to turn a few more RPM before it would shift compared to stock. I ended changing everything back to as close to stock as I could get. Feels great for part throttle and daily driving and shifts hard at WOT.

ctgreddy 01-24-2012 08:55 PM

this is a tune for when i put cams in it, so i had him extend the shift points up a little over 6k. will slow it down now but i plan on having cams in by april so who cares if it's slower now. I may send it back and have him soften it up on the street tune but keep it how it is on the race tune.

WannaBeGearHead 01-24-2012 09:32 PM

What cams you going with?

ctgreddy 01-24-2012 09:57 PM

hp s292's. so cheap and have heard great things about them with some mild boost, which the car will get soon. plus they dont sound that wild, and i like that. i dont want it too choppy to where everyone knows i have cams.