4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First post. Need help with first mods.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

urg... Why does this happen with EVERY person that comes in here asking what mod to do? There are THOUSANDS of beneficial mods and nobody has asked the very first question that should be asked of the OP!

B2.... what are the ULTIMATE goals for your car?

4:10's may be a horrible place to start and you may not like them. They are very low gears and you may drive lots of highway miles on 70 MPH freeways. In such a case, they would eat up fuel and would hate them. I see on your most recient post, you are considering a 4V one day. Does this mean you are looking to hit the 1/4 mile? If so, 4:10's may be a good choice, but NOBODY asked that of you, prior to just throwing out information.

Jazzer
Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 AM
!KLeech!
1st Gear Member

Gears, Tune, Exhaust, Drag radials. Spinning is not winning. Youd be surprised what a bolt on car with traction can actually keep up with.

^He said he wanted a fun street car that could keep up with a stock cobra, although your right he didnt specify in what type of race.

Last edited by !KLeech!; 01-26-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by B2norma
Thanks guys for all the help. I'll start with the 410s then tune and go from there. When I run this motor to its last day and its time to replace I think I will go for a 4v.
where are you located in ga? i can help with installs etc if you can't do yourself to help you save alot of installation money.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
B2norma

I'm getting a Toyota corolla soon for gas purposes. So by the time I get the gears gas wont be a concern. lets put it this way I want as much power as possible out of my 4.6. And I want to to handle as good as possible. AKA a great street car. 1/4 one day.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Big gears, big blower, big tires. Mods are like boobies the bigger the better. Honestly though is it a daily, daily plus drag , or daily plus twisties or any other combination.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
urg... Why does this happen with EVERY person that comes in here asking what mod to do? There are THOUSANDS of beneficial mods and nobody has asked the very first question that should be asked of the OP!

[COLOR="Red"]B2.... what are the ULTIMATE goals for your car?[/COLOR]

4:10's may be a horrible place to start and you may not like them. They are very low gears and you may drive lots of highway miles on 70 MPH freeways. In such a case, they would eat up fuel and would hate them. I see on your most recient post, you are considering a 4V one day. Does this mean you are looking to hit the 1/4 mile? If so, 4:10's may be a good choice, but NOBODY asked that of you, prior to just throwing out information.

Jazzer
Bull@#$%! I asked! go look! I even put quotations around it and gave ya credit!!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 PM
B2norma

Originally Posted by stevednmc
First...4.10's and a tuner....if you want forced induction, 3.73's, tuner, then save for the supercharger. Nothing much else benefits these motors really...but to quote a famous Kitty prowling around these forums..."What is your ultimate goal for your car?"

Assuming you bought this car second (or third)hand...the very FIRST thing you NEED to do is change all the fluids! You never know if it was maintained properly, even if they say it was.
It's true he did ask. But thanks for all the replies I learn a lot with each one.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:34 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

I agree with everyone else. Gears and a tuner are a good place to start. After that a mid pipe and cat-back. Also maybe some suspension mods like, springs, LCA, ect. American Muscle is a great place to shop for parts and have excellent customer service.

Other than that just save your money for some type of F/I (turbo, supercharger, nitrous).
Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevednmc
Bull@#$%! I asked! go look! I even put quotations around it and gave ya credit!!
I came here to ask the question.... you beat me and Jazzer to it, but you didn't make the font red and big like jazzer!!!!

Originally Posted by speedkills
I agree with everyone else. Gears and a tuner are a good place to start. After that a mid pipe and cat-back. Also maybe some suspension mods like, springs, LCA, ect. American Muscle is a great place to shop for parts and have excellent customer service.

Other than that just save your money for some type of F/I (turbo, supercharger, nitrous).
+1 American muscle is great.

Gears and a tuner should be the 1st mod. You need to decide if you're going to go f/i or not before doing the gears. 4.10s for n/a and 3.73s for f/i. You can build a solid f/i setup for less than 2k. There is a sticky on it. If you want those kind of numbers to hang with cobras, this is the best option IMO.

But how are you going to hang with the Cobras through the turns?! What about brakes? Tires? Suspension? All the power in the world is great, but it means nothing if you can't control it!

Drinking Jazzers kool-aid since '08
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
I came here to ask the question.... you beat me and Jazzer to it, but you didn't make the font red and big like jazzer!!!!

Drinking Jazzers kool-aid since '08
HA! Good point. I have failed...but I will still drink the Kitty-aide!

Quick Reply: First post. Need help with first mods.