4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

First post. Need help with first mods.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
B2norma

Default First post. Need help with first mods.

Hello, So I finally have a mustang(2004 GT) of my own and I'm looking to mod. The only thing is I don't know where to start. I would like to start with the most beneficial mod and go from there. I already have new performance spark plugs. what next?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

First...4.10's and a tuner....if you want forced induction, 3.73's, tuner, then save for the supercharger. Nothing much else benefits these motors really...but to quote a famous Kitty prowling around these forums..."What is your ultimate goal for your car?"

Assuming you bought this car second (or third)hand...the very FIRST thing you NEED to do is change all the fluids! You never know if it was maintained properly, even if they say it was.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
B2norma

Thanks for the quick response. I have changed all fluids because you are right people lie. I'm now running with Mobil 1 oil. K&N oil filter. And have had my antifreeze completely sucked out and replaced with motor craft gold antifreeze. I'm just looking for a solid street car. One that can beat the stock cobra. And hang with almost anything else on the street.... Hey I can dream big right. I just want to get as much fun as possible out of my car.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

As stated above slap some 410's on your ride and go from there.. If you're staying N/A go with a nice set of cams, get a tune and if you have big money, maybe some Trick Flow heads. Or you could do what alot of us on here did and piece a S/C together. Some guys have met the $1500.00 S/C build but in my case my setup $2170.00.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 PM
B2norma

Thanks. 410's is going to be one of the first things I do. What about the little things(spark plug boots, High flow fuel rail, aftermarket fuel injectors, Air intake, etc.) do they matter or just change them when they need it?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by B2norma
Thanks. 410's is going to be one of the first things I do. What about the little things(spark plug boots, High flow fuel rail, aftermarket fuel injectors, Air intake, etc.) do they matter or just change them when they need it?

I would not go that route (at least not yet). I would start with the gears, maybe a nice catback exhuast system and possibly a tuner. That would be a good start.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Most of that stuff is small potatoes really...alot of money and not much real gain. Dont get me wrong....intakes, throttle body, plenum, fuel injectors all come together to make an ok gain...but not huge. So, I say 4.10's with a tuner, exhaust (ie; midpipe and catback) then whatever you want from there. If you want to make actual power...heads and cams and or F/I are whats gonna get ya there. No bolt on mod on the planet is gonna get you to a 4V. To get there...get a 4V.lol. The fuel rails will net you nothing but a lighter wallet, same with the COPs, Most of those are the same design as OEM.

I have done alot of the bolt-ons and it has helped, but the tune itself made the biggest one time difference. Still lookin to install my 4.10's, then down the line heads and cams....or F/I...
CAI will not net you much gain at all...but I did it for aesthetics. Throttle body and plenum will increase throtttle response, and along with the tuner, will help make some better power for you.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

boost it, blow it up, rebuild and repeat. Lifes motto.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gt04
boost it, blow it up, rebuild and repeat. Lifes motto.
^agreed.

haha no but seriously. this is what i'd do, gears, tune,mgw shifter, o/r midpipe and catback first. then throw a 125 shot on it and walla. you'll have around 1500 into the car if you put the parts on yourself, and will be around 360whp.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 PM
B2norma

Thanks guys for all the help. I'll start with the 410s then tune and go from there. When I run this motor to its last day and its time to replace I think I will go for a 4v.

Quick Reply: First post. Need help with first mods.