4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Do Mach springs sit lower than the GT springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Default Do Mach springs sit lower than the GT springs?

Hey Guys, I want to buy some H&R SS springs to give my stang that nice ride but I been soo broke. Found some Mach1 springs and I thought if you put them on a GT it will make it sit lower? Can anybody give me info or pics if you have done this yourself? Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I think there is a thread on here about that....ill go lookin...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i believe the car would be a tad lower than stock gt springs with stock mach1 springs. but it wont be as low as SS's. you could always pick up the mach springs and then cut them or your stock gt springs if your on a budget.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Check this....https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...1-springs.html
Old 01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
!KLeech!
1st Gear Member

mach 1 springs are the best for weight transfer of any of them, just some knowledge.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevednmc
The thread listed above is a good one to read regarding the Mach1 springs.
The drop is approximately 3/4" lower than the GT. It is a little better, but if you want a low look, they won't do it for you.

The Mach1 springs are far superior to the GT springs though. The handling is noticeably better and the ride is still very good. If you want a little more drop, leave out the ISOS, and you can trim A LITTLE off the fronts to get it a tad lower. I wouldn't recommend cutting very much off of them though.

If you want H&R SS springs, you will have to also get CC Plates, and should really get firmer struts/shocks as well. You can use the Mach1 springs without either of those upgrades, but better struts/shocks would still be advised.

As for Mach1 springs having better weight transfer...
if you mean it is tighter when it transfers weight laterally, I agree with you. However, if you mean better transfer from front to rear(like at the drag strip) I would have to disagree. The stiffer and shorter springs will do a worse job of transferring the weight on a hard launch.

OP,
You need to make an honest assessment of your goals for this car, and your budget to achieve them. It is highly recommended to have a complete plan for the car before you begin investing in mods. This will save you a lot of money and heartache down the road. Although we all love to add another mod to our cars, many of us have learned over the years that there simply are no shortcuts to good results. Save up and do the mods properly as you acquire enough funds to do so. The "cheap" way out RARELY ever is.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 AM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Ok here are my plans, I wont be track racing but I may have some fun once in a while on the street. I just want the car to sit lower ( i love the look of the H&R SS) and I want it to handle better around corners but hopefully have a smooth/firm ride for long trips. Im not sure if its possible to get a firm smooth ride but thats what Im aiming for? I dont want a harsh bouncy ride that and have to worry about every bump in the road. My overall plan was to add h&r ss springs, koni shocks STR(or any great shock), steeda sway bars and some good tires. Thats my plan for suspension.

Now, I hate the fact that I need cc plates (becus of $). If I bought the H&R SS springs and installed them, can i wait to add the cc plates after (months later)? Also does it make a difference what type of CC plates I use, i see some priced from $165. to $265 on AM? Will it make a difference If i bought the cheaper ones to save $$ there?

As for shocks, Im assuming KYB are same as stock, which i dont want. And Bilsteins are a lil to pricey for my budget. I was thinking Koni STR oranges. I would love to get the Koni Sport Yellows or the Bilsteins if i had the $$ but I dont.

So what do you think? Ive read good things about the Koni's. I dont mind spending a lil more $ to do it right. But I would have to be lil by lil and I dont think that can work becus usually its best to change springs and shocks at same time right? Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
The thread listed above is a good one to read regarding the Mach1 springs.
The drop is approximately 3/4" lower than the GT. It is a little better, but if you want a low look, they won't do it for you.

The Mach1 springs are far superior to the GT springs though. The handling is noticeably better and the ride is still very good. If you want a little more drop, leave out the ISOS, and you can trim A LITTLE off the fronts to get it a tad lower. I wouldn't recommend cutting very much off of them though.

If you want H&R SS springs, you will have to also get CC Plates, and should really get firmer struts/shocks as well. You can use the Mach1 springs without either of those upgrades, but better struts/shocks would still be advised.

As for Mach1 springs having better weight transfer...
if you mean it is tighter when it transfers weight laterally, I agree with you. However, if you mean better transfer from front to rear(like at the drag strip) I would have to disagree. The stiffer and shorter springs will do a worse job of transferring the weight on a hard launch.

OP,
You need to make an honest assessment of your goals for this car, and your budget to achieve them. It is highly recommended to have a complete plan for the car before you begin investing in mods. This will save you a lot of money and heartache down the road. Although we all love to add another mod to our cars, many of us have learned over the years that there simply are no shortcuts to good results. Save up and do the mods properly as you acquire enough funds to do so. The "cheap" way out RARELY ever is.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by supermario; 02-06-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

As for overall plans, you heard my suspension plan. For the engine, I was going to add
70mm TB/Plenum, x or h pipe to my stock exhaust, steeda udp's, K&n air filter element, and an SCT Tuner(bama tuned). I understand some of those bolt on's DONT give much HP but I was hoping the combination of all those mods and a properly tuned sCT tuner, I would hopefully put my engine hp up to 300hp. I was also thinking of having the heads ported and polished and maybe adding some mild cams. If had all these mods, including the cams and head job, do you think i could hit 350 engine HP? Thanks again and sorry for getting off track but you asked my whole plan for the vehicle. By the way, I didnt add any gears because I didnt really want to decrease the gas mileage (other than cams and head job), plus I wanted my stang to be nice fast highway driver. I dont want the rpm's to be screaming at 80mph.

By next year, I will have the $ to buy the MMR rotating assembly and add a SC. But thats next year!

Last edited by supermario; 02-06-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Those mods won't get you to 300rwhp. It would take full bolt-ons, cams and heads to get to 300rwhp.

Gears will be needed if you want the car to be quick, especially without boost. If you really intend to add a SC later, get 3.73 gears now and enjoy them. Your rpms won't be high, but the improvement in acceleration will be better than any other bolt-on mod you have listed.

I am confused that you balk at the $180 for CC Plates, yet plan to have funds for all the rest of these mods. It is easy to dream big. Before you start spending hard earned cash, make an honest assessment of budget and goals.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

Trueblue the op wasn't talkin rwhp he's talkin engine hp. Super Mario u can never really know how much engine hp u have once u start modding an engine because there is no way to find that hp rating unless u pull your engine and put it on a dyno. Rwhp are the real numbers to be talkin about as u can accually measure that without having to pull your engine.

Quick Reply: Do Mach springs sit lower than the GT springs?