4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car Dying At Idle - Completely Clueless

Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by micahk2
Actually checked that, as well. Put a smoke machine on it and had no luck. The more we talk, the more it is looking like the IAC. I'd much rather that than something else, though. Was looking at parts online and it's only about $90, and that's IF I have to change it as opposed to cleaning it.
"99.44% of the time problems such as you describe are a failing/failed Idle Air Control (IAC) valve..."

You should be able to get one at any FLAPS for $90 or less...
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
micahk2

Update: I just went in and cleaned the IAC and it is still dying. It didn't look like there is anything wrong with it. Is there a way to tell if it is broken by looking at it or is it one of those things you can't physically see?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Tricks

I had a friend with the same problem. We figured out it was his underdrive pulley that he put on slowed down the altinator enough that his battery would die. Not sure if you have underdrive pulleys or not but good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
micahk2

Originally Posted by Tricks
I had a friend with the same problem. We figured out it was his underdrive pulley that he put on slowed down the altinator enough that his battery would die. Not sure if you have underdrive pulleys or not but good luck!
Nope . I am still running stock on that sadly. Was going to be my next mod until this happened. Can't upgrade my car when I know something is wrong with it.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by micahk2
Update: I just went in and cleaned the IAC and it is still dying. It didn't look like there is anything wrong with it. Is there a way to tell if it is broken by looking at it or is it one of those things you can't physically see?
  • With the engine warm and idling disconnect the IAC electrical connector, the engine rpm should drop significantly or even stall--if it doesn't the IAC is bad buy a new one;

• You can check the IAC with a multi-meter, unplug the electrical connector and measure the resistance between the two terminals, it should be 6Ω to 13Ω--if it isn't the IAC is bad, buy a new one;

• Next check the resistance between each terminal and the IAC body, in both cases it should be better than 10kΩ--if it is less thee IAC is bad, buy a new one;

You can also check the voltage between the red wire at the IAC (connector plugged in, key on engine off (KOEO) and ground (the IAC body will work), it should be 12.0V or more--if not you have a wiring problem.

It cannot be a fuse issue as the IAC, all the injectors, the MAF, and two PCM reference voltages are all supplied by the same fuse--I.e. the engine would not run if that fuse were blown...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 PM
micahk2

Originally Posted by cliffyk
  • With the engine warm and idling disconnect the IAC electrical connector, the engine rpm should drop significantly or even stall--if it doesn't the IAC is bad buy a new one;

• You can check the IAC with a multi-meter, unplug the electrical connector and measure the resistance between the two terminals, it should be 6Ω to 13Ω--if it isn't the IAC is bad, buy a new one;

• Next check the resistance between each terminal and the IAC body, in both cases it should be better than 10kΩ--if it is less thee IAC is bad, buy a new one;

You can also check the voltage between the red wire at the IAC (connector plugged in, key on engine off (KOEO) and ground (the IAC body will work), it should be 12.0V or more--if not you have a wiring problem.

It cannot be a fuse issue as the IAC, all the injectors, the MAF, and two PCM reference voltages are all supplied by the same fuse--I.e. the engine would not run if that fuse were blown...
Good info. I WOULD have gone and done that, but my car actually stalled while I was on the interstate today. Almost got rear ended by someone hauling *** but managed to crank my car a couple secs before they hit...At this point I just dropped it off at the mechanic. I couldnt wait til the weekend to fix it.

I will update you guys with what was wrong, just in case it may happen to you.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 AM
micahk2

It turns out that there was actually a bad ground within the Fuel Relay Module, which was only a $10 fix. The ground was causing one of my headlights to go out when the relay module quit working correctly. Goes to show that sometimes its something completely simple causing so many problems.