4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car Dying At Idle - Completely Clueless

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 AM
micahk2

Exclamation Car Dying At Idle - Completely Clueless

I have a 2000 Mustang V6 3.8L. Lately, I have been having some issues with the car running properly. The problems are quite odd and inconsistent, so Im completely clueless, but here they are:

The car will (sometimes) die during idle. Usually, it's only if I idle for a long time, a long time being about 30 seconds or more. If I give it a little gas, it doesn't die.

The car will also (sometimes) die immediately once I turn on the Defrost/AC. To me, this sounded like a compressor issue, but as noted before, it is also inconsistent. It usually only dies when I'm in low revs, but will sometimes die when I'm in higher revs.

I'm not sure if this has ANYTHING to do with what is going on, but it's weird so I'll note it:

I recently installed some Halo headlights on the stang (they look great ). Anytime that my car is about to die or sometimes just completely randomly, the right headlight will go out completely. On my dash, the arrow for the right turn signal will light up and stay on, and the light that comes on when your high-beams are on lights up a little bit. If I touch the wiring on the back of the headlight, it will fix.

I'm sorry if this description is kind of terrible, but it is very hard to describe what exactly is going on. I'm hoping that you guys won't be as clueless as I am.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 AM
micahk2

I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong section. My apologies for that . A move would be appreciated!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Regardless of where you posted it, 99.44% of the time problems such as you describe are a failing/failed Idle Air Control (IAC) valve...
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM
micahk2

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Regardless of where you posted it, 99.44% of the time problems such as you describe are a failing/failed Idle Air Control (IAC) valve...
This is what me and my dad were assuming. We were debating whether it was the IAC or the fuel pump (trying to rule one or the other out). The main problem we've been having like I said was the inconsistency. I appreciate the input. Probably going to be spending my tax refund fixing this
Old 02-15-2012, 10:14 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Iac is cheap. Start there. Q-tips and somethin to clean it with. If that doesnt work. Replace it. Not expensive. If that doesnt work then look elsewhere
Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 PM
russman113

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter, if at all? Any CEL?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
micahk2

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
Iac is cheap. Start there. Q-tips and somethin to clean it with. If that doesnt work. Replace it. Not expensive. If that doesnt work then look elsewhere
Ah ok. I was assuming it would be pretty expensive to fix sense it seems like a pretty important part. If the iac isn't the problem, I'd be completely baffled.

I actually just recently replaced the fuel filter to see if it would help any with this situation. Didn't help one bit, all the filter DID need a good changing
Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
russman113

Yea I suggested the fuel filter because my 98 gt was recently having stuttering, bad idle and I lost some power, also had a CEL for both banks running lean. Changed out the filter and all was good.

If the IAC is not the problem, check your vacuum lines for any leaks.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
micahk2

Originally Posted by russman113
Yea I suggested the fuel filter because my 98 gt was recently having stuttering, bad idle and I lost some power, also had a CEL for both banks running lean. Changed out the filter and all was good.

If the IAC is not the problem, check your vacuum lines for any leaks.
Actually checked that, as well. Put a smoke machine on it and had no luck. The more we talk, the more it is looking like the IAC. I'd much rather that than something else, though. Was looking at parts online and it's only about $90, and that's IF I have to change it as opposed to cleaning it.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 AM
russman113

Yea sometimes you can get away with cleaning them out and they are good as new. Good luck man

Quick Reply: Car Dying At Idle - Completely Clueless