4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Some questions about swapping in a Mark VIII DOHC

Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM
streetdemon

Default Some questions about swapping in a Mark VIII DOHC

Alright, i have a 2000 mustang gt i wont go into specifics but lets just say the intake manifold broke, it slightly overheated and it pretty much runs like crap.

With that said, i was able to fit a pipe where the intake manifold broke, However the engine has 181K on it and im looking to do this swap only because i can get the engine for 400$ even.

About the Engine

>Exhaust Manifolds were cut at the junk yard
>Fuel Lines were cut as well
>they took the alternator

Other than that it has 76K on it, i figured for 400$ i could buy the engine, instead of a new Intake Manifold for my engine + other screw ups with it down the line.

My question is, What can i get away with, as in not changing?

I've looked over this guide > http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6946

The big questions are as follows.

>Can i get away with using the stock intake manifold it has installed?
>Can i use my engines wiring harness on this engine, if so aside from lengthening the injector cables what would i need?
>What can i do about the exhaust manifolds, is there a remote possibility that my exhaust manifolds will bolt up?
>Will it directly fit in with my TR45 Transmission or will i need a solution for that as well?
>Also about the fuel rails what are other solutions with that, i read that the stock rails can be modded
>Is it an improvement? I have looked and looked for replacement engines however they go for 750+ this guy wanted 400$ because he sold his mustang that he wanted to mod with it and just wants it out of his garage.

My father who is an ASE Cert mechanic keeps telling me that nothing on my car is compatible with that engine, however i've read otherwise, he also say's that the valve springs go bad and those engines are very bad about it.

However im not willing to pay 200+ for a new intake manifold and whatever other nightmares this engine throws at me when i can come up with a better engine with lower miles for twice the price.

Any answers at all even if you dont have the answer to all the questions are appreciated, thank you!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Dont take this as a cut on your Dad but I have to say this. But it seems like the worst info always comes from people who are ASE certified.
Anyway here is a good thread.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...n-a-96-gt.html
Confirm 100% that it is a Mark VIII and not a Continental 4V if it is a VIII yes your T45 will bolt right up. And there is nothing wrong with the valve spring on a 4V
Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
streetdemon

Well, i am positive that it is from a MARK VIII, and i looked at the guide, my questions are what can i get away with so i'm not spending another 400 on parts to make it work, but i do really appreciate your input, he may be thinking it's from a Continental or Navi.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Can the swap be done cheap yes. will you end up spending $400 more to do the swap there is a good possibility the small things add up very quick.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
streetdemon

Originally Posted by BraMas
Can the swap be done cheap yes. will you end up spending $400 more to do the swap there is a good possibility the small things add up very quick.
What exactly am i looking at buying?

From some posts on the guide i've seen people say you can use the intake manifold that came stock on it, but i didnt see anyone confirm, i'm just worried about replacing the big stuff, however just FYI if i try this swap we have all the tools needed, so i wont need to mess with someone installing for me.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

what year is the engine. There are 2 versions of the intake the early one had it located on the back of the intake by the firewall (stupid location) and the later versions have it coming of the passenger side but on top of the engine. i believe most people prefer the later when doing this swap

Last edited by BraMas; 02-20-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
streetdemon

Originally Posted by BraMas
what year is the engine. There are 2 versions of the intake the early one had it located on the back of the intake by the firewall (stupid location) and the later versions have it coming of the driver side but on top of the engine. i believe most people prefer the later when doing this swap
The engine is a 98, looks identical to the one in the guide you pointed me too.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
streetdemon

Here is a picture of the engine, i had more on my phone but it's memory got wiped last night.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

That is a 97-98 style Mark VIII engine, the intake will work fine. You can use the stock wiring. There is 0 chance that the 2V exhaust manifolds will work, they are round and the Mark VIII is oval. Get some 96-01 cobra manifolds. The T45 will work fine, mine did. I don't know if the 00 has the 6 bolt flywheel, but if it doesn't, you will need to get one. The 00 uses a returnless fuel rail and the Mark VIII uses a return style. Not sure how to remedy this.

As for improvement. I had my bone stock 96 GT with a Mark VIII motor and 3.23 gears and it would walk all over my PI swapped 98 GT with a ton of bolt ons and 3.73 gears.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
streetdemon

Another Question, i really dont have the money for new fuel rails, can i convert the existing rails to returnless? if so how?