4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Another Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
kream88

^ my point exactly
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

Here's what Lil Roush wrote back in 09:

To answer the question, you'll want the motor, tranny, rear, harness, exhaust, fuel system, cooling system, ECU,front suspension, and the dash cluster as well.
You do not need a fuel system. Only the fuel pump. The GT fuel rail connects to the V6 line with no problem.

I added the following:

To add to the things Lil Roush stated, add the CCRM, the wiring from the computer to the CCRM, the hydroboost assembly since the V6 brake booster is too large for the 4.6 to fit in the engine bay.

Find a donor car that is the same year as your V6. It may seem more expensive to find a donor car but after you put all the parts together to get the project started (a piece here a piece there), you spent just as much money and have no idea if they work together. Ford made little changes in the wiring from year to year. That's why you need the wiring diagram for all of the years that you pick from. I still cannot get my rear window defroster to stop so I unplugged the connections at the window.

Honestly, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't waste my money and time. I'd buy a 4.6 liter 99-04 GT. Lots of money was wasted to get my car to the same level where the GT guys start from the factory. Then you start pouring more money into it because it still is not powerful enough.

If it is your dream go for it. But don't think that it is a "budget build". Be prepared for small ankle biters that ended up costing more and more.

My experienced 2 cents.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

GT 2v's from a wrecked car don't go for a ton of money. You'll want a Mustang so you can take the full engine harness, gauge cluster, all the parts mentioned in the other threads. But, for this to be affordable and realistic, you should have a mechanic who is going to do work for cheap... cheap.. cheap... If you were around here, I could direct you to a guy who would have a variety of optionsy for you, but Texas is far :-)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kream88
I understand this but I don't want to super charge a 164,xxx mile motor that I don't know whether it was abused or not. I plan on running the sixxer until it dies or all parts are gathered. But if it dies and I'm pulling that motor out I'm going to replace it with something better. I'm also more of a n/a kinda guy. I completely understand where your coming from though. Also you mentioned suspension, one thing I'm planning on doing shortly is upgrading my suspension with aftermarket would this solve the problem for later down the road?
Yes, that will cover it. If you want to stay N/A, a high compression 4.2L V6 will scoop you up more than the SOHC swap and you won't run into the wiring nightmare.

Originally Posted by 04camaroeater
+1 Def would take a stock v8 over a supercharged v6 anyday!
Yeah, I'd jump all over 260 hp instead of 400hp any day, too.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM
wifes pony
1st Gear Member

Honestly, save ya money while your lookin for a gt. It'll come along and who knows, ya mite even come across a cobra, then you'll have a stang worthy of ya time and money. And a lot less stress and headaches. I guaron..teee!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
04camaroeater
1st Gear Member

I didnt say it would be faster. I just said I would choose it over a v6. There is nothing like the feel of a v8. A v6 is a v6 all day long no matter what you do to it.

Last edited by 04camaroeater; 02-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Ok, I'll bite. How does it FEEL like a V6 when it's making more power than said V8?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but I have a coworker that just bought a V6 Camaro; and while we haven't (and won't) raced, I am sure his car would eat mine anytime. And he gets almost 30mpg to boot.
Yes, V8s are nice, but these new V6s are nothing to turn your nose up over either. Now compare said V6 with a new V8 and that is a different story. But I sure wouldn't turn down said V6 either.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 PM
04camaroeater
1st Gear Member

Ok well just go buy a 350z since you want a v6. A mustang was made for a v8. And you cant say that a v6 whatever feels the same s a v8. I dont care how much power any v6 makes it still isnt a v8. Thats like saying a 4 cylinder honda with 400 hp will feel like a matching v8. Come on now really.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04camaroeater
Ok well just go buy a 350z since you want a v6. A mustang was made for a v8. And you cant say that a v6 whatever feels the same s a v8. I dont care how much power any v6 makes it still isnt a v8. Thats like saying a 4 cylinder honda with 400 hp will feel like a matching v8. Come on now really.
This is just plain wrong. A lighter weight higher hp version of the same car will be faster no matter what engine is has (given equal drivers). I CAN say the V6 feels the same (or faster) that the V8 Mustang. I've had high hp versions of both. My V6 Mustang was actually the highest hp Mustang I've owned (and that's overshadowing an 11 second N/A '93 fox and my current supercharged 4.6L).

So yes, REALLY.

Quick Reply: Another Swap Thread