4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Idle issues right after start-up

Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
clayto

Default Idle issues right after start-up

Right after I turn my car on, I sometimes have issues at idle. For example, leaving the gas station today, I stopped before pulling out to let some cars pass on the main road. While I'm sitting there, the car just dies. This is the second time it has done this, but it tried to die many times before.

After doing some research, it sounds like I need to clean or replace the IAC. Do any of you have similar issues?

Thanks,
Clayto
Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Such symptoms are most often a failing IAC, you can check it with these simple tests:
  • With the engine warm and idling disconnect the IAC electrical connector, the engine rpm should drop immediately and significantly, or even stall--if it doesn't the IAC is bad buy a new one;

• You can check the IAC with a multi-meter, unplug the electrical connector and measure the resistance between the two terminals, it should be 6Ω to 13Ω--if it isn't the IAC is bad, buy a new one;

• Next check the resistance between each terminal and the IAC body, in both cases it should be better than 10kΩ--if it is less thee IAC is bad, buy a new one;
You can also check the voltage between the red wire at the IAC (connector plugged in, key on engine off (KOEO) and ground (the IAC body will work), it should be 12.0V or more--if not you have a wiring problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 AM
clayto

Thanks cliffyk, I will try those suggestions and report back.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM
clayto

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Such symptoms are most often a failing IAC, you can check it with these simple tests:
  • With the engine warm and idling disconnect the IAC electrical connector, the engine rpm should drop immediately and significantly, or even stall--if it doesn't the IAC is bad buy a new one;

• You can check the IAC with a multi-meter, unplug the electrical connector and measure the resistance between the two terminals, it should be 6Ω to 13Ω--if it isn't the IAC is bad, buy a new one;

• Next check the resistance between each terminal and the IAC body, in both cases it should be better than 10kΩ--if it is less thee IAC is bad, buy a new one;
You can also check the voltage between the red wire at the IAC (connector plugged in, key on engine off (KOEO) and ground (the IAC body will work), it should be 12.0V or more--if not you have a wiring problem.
I disconnected the electrical connector like you suggested first, and the RPMs dropped significantly and the engine almost died. I don't have anything to check the voltage, so I will do that maybe this weekend at a friend's house.

So it sounds like my IAC is fine, but maybe needs cleaning? Or do I absolutely need to check the voltage, too?

Thanks,
Clayton