4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

wide tires with lowered suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM
cobramustangboy

Default wide tires with lowered suspension question

just bought a 2001 Bullitt off my sister; she put some wide wheels out back and I love the look, but I want to drop it a little bit; I hate the massive gap between the wheels and fender (always have); I also want the suspension to be stiffer; what are my options as far as dropping the car an inch or so? this car is just going to be my daily driver, so I hope to just change out the springs, but I want a stiffer ride so I don't run the risk of rubbing those wide tires out back; I have looked at the Eibach pro kit and sportline kits; I'm kinda leaning towards them...any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
65mechanic
2nd Gear Member

I've got the Eibach Sportlines myself running the stock tire size 245/45/17s. The ride definitely got stiffer, but the bumps are a little rougher as well. I've heard good things about the H&Rs as well. Both are good brands. For me the sportlines didn't "slam" the car, so its still completely daily driveable. As for tire size, I do believe you can go 275/40/17s in the front with little to no rubbing, but it varies on different brands of tires. (Correct me if I'm wrong guys) My buds 02 GT came with that size on the front and I dont remember him having a ton of issues. For the rear I think you can go up to 315/35/17. Just my input here.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM
cobramustangboy

did you only swap out the springs? the sportlines are the more aggressive drop according to eibach's website; I read several other places you can get away with just swapping the springs but you would want to get some caster camber plates so you don't wear out your inner tires up front; any problems with your tires yet?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Your Bullitt is already about 3/4" lower than a GT, so for reference you want a drop of about 1.75" from the stock GT ride height. The spring rate for a drop like that will be higher, so unless you have a low mileage Bullitt you will probably want new shocks to go with the springs, plus CC Plates are in order also.

Specific springs are pretty much personal preference, so look at the drop and the spring rates to decide what set you want. 4-bolt CC Plates are what you want. I love my Bilsteins, but if budget is tight you might consider Koni STR-T shocks.

Good luck and enjoy the Bullitt!!!
Note: IMBOC.com is another great source of info for your Bullitt.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM
cobramustangboy

Talking

hey thanks for all the info; I'll definitely get on that site and see whats up; its an 01 Bullitt with just over 80k on the clock; its rides smooth now, but that doesn't really tell me much about the shocks; I think I will definitely do some more hunting around, but right now I'm thinking sportlines with CC plates will do me for a while; then comes the exhaust!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

You'll probably have to roll the rear fenders. I was dropped 1.25 out back and i cut up my brand new 315/35/17's. Had to roll em.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

A good idea to check your tire/fender clearance, but I doubt you will have any issues.
My 315s have never rubbed a fender with a similar drop to what OP is looking for.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
cobramustangboy

do you have a picture of your setup trueblue?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

on your Bullitt, you can run the Eibach Pro Kit springs with 315/35-17s without rubbing.

A setup I've used in the past on New Edge Stangs is a set of Strange Engineering 10-way adjustable struts & shocks and UPR Pro Series springs (which are actually made for us by Eibach and spec out the same as Pro Kit springs) This setup handles well, has a decent ride quality, and can be adjusted very quickly in a parking lot with no tools.

We carry all of these parts at www.uprproducts.com

Feel free to call us and we'll be happy to answer any questions you have. 561.588.6630
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM
65mechanic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobramustangboy
did you only swap out the springs? the sportlines are the more aggressive drop according to eibach's website; I read several other places you can get away with just swapping the springs but you would want to get some caster camber plates so you don't wear out your inner tires up front; any problems with your tires yet?
Sorry for the delayed response. I did just swap out the springs, because I didnt feel like getting the camber plates plus the alignment and be out a couple hundred bucks more. For now, Im not really seeing and major tire wear, other than for my style driving

Quick Reply: wide tires with lowered suspension question