4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stretched clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default Stretched clutch cable

Well. I've got my build mostly together with stock internals to try things out.

Still using the -original- factory clutch as the car nears 110k miles. It's been supercharged for 60k of that (when it tossed the 2v finally) had nitrous before, and now it's holding back a turbo DOHC :P

Still no slip, and I know it's low on life, but...

My clutch cable seems to be giving me issues. All is fine while the car is cold. Once the engine warms up, it gets hard to shift.

If I push the clutch in when cold, I can hear the throwout bearing stop.

If I push the clutch in while hot, the bearing doesn't stop. If I push it into gear (it's hard) and pull it back out, I hear the throwout bearing spin back up while I've got the clutch to the floor.

So I'd like to think the heat from the exhaust is making the cable act funny - but why only when hot? Why would the cable stretch with a stock clutch?

Can I just buy another ford cable and run it till I drop my forged teksid block in in about two months when I get it assembled? Anyone run into this? Suggestions please
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Bump on this one.

The issue is worse now. I drove the car about 30 miles on the highway and left it in 5th as I was going off the offramp. Pushed the clutch in and noticed it was very light. With the clutch to the floor the RPMs just kept going down with speed.

So basically now the clutch doesn't disengage at all when hot.

But it does a little when cold. I drove it back home and shifted without the clutch (because it wasn't doing anything anyway). It holds just fine at like 3000 RPM in 5th at full boost so it's not slipping. But it won't disengage.

I parked it at home and let it cool and the car will idle with the clutch in but it rolls forward if in gear even with the clutch to the floor. The pedal is still lighter than it used to be.

So I parked it in the garage. Anyone have any ideas? I found another thread some place that someone said they had the same issues and people recommended replacing the clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. And it didn't fix his problem.

I'm still on the factory clutch with ~100k miles. I know it's low on life. But it still holds fine. Suggestions?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake
Bump on this one.

The issue is worse now. I drove the car about 30 miles on the highway and left it in 5th as I was going off the offramp. Pushed the clutch in and noticed it was very light. With the clutch to the floor the RPMs just kept going down with speed.

So basically now the clutch doesn't disengage at all when hot.

But it does a little when cold. I drove it back home and shifted without the clutch (because it wasn't doing anything anyway). It holds just fine at like 3000 RPM in 5th at full boost so it's not slipping. But it won't disengage.

I parked it at home and let it cool and the car will idle with the clutch in but it rolls forward if in gear even with the clutch to the floor. The pedal is still lighter than it used to be.

So I parked it in the garage. Anyone have any ideas? I found another thread some place that someone said they had the same issues and people recommended replacing the clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. And it didn't fix his problem.

I'm still on the factory clutch with ~100k miles. I know it's low on life. But it still holds fine. Suggestions?
Last bump for ideas.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

It could be the cable. Look under it while some one pushes the clutch in and see if its moving all the way. Or pull the cable off and look for frays on the ends.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i would think maybe something with the clutch fork?? maybe try letting it heat up then having a friend depress the pedal a few times while you look under the car at the fork with the dust cover removed. you should be able to detect whether or not the cable is stretching as well. never experienced this problem before, but maybe this will help you at least rule out some things.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Wanted to follow up on this! Ordered a new clutch cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster.

I figured I'd try it out - what did I have to lose.

Climbed under the car and started taking out the cable to find that while it had cleared the exhaust when I did the turbo kit - it no longer did and was resting on the exhaust.

Swapped it out with the cheap-o Steeda cable from american muscle, pedal feel is heavier now but it works! I'll just get a real motorcraft cable on the rebuild.

So, strange! The cable was still in one piece but stretched a ton when the exhaust got hot.