4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Whats the best spring rate for street/strip setup

Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Question Whats the best spring rate for street/strip setup

I will be hitting the 1/8th mile drag alot since its only 1mi from my house, but I also hope to keep my car decent at handling the twisties of the Virginia roads. So as i'm upgrading my front end suspension, what are you guys doing to keep your car a bad whole shot car, but keep driveability in the corners. This is the setup on the front end i'm looking at, but need help on the parameters of springs and the extras.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=379

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=804

add in any pros/cons of the packages, and other packages you would choose etc. i appreciate the help. again, mostly drag, but want decent street driveability as it will only hit the track a few times a year, but i want that throw you in the back seat whole shot. I do realize the rear suspension is most important for this, but I am in a spot to do the front first. thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Hmmm... not exactly sure how to answer your question.

You have two directly opposing objectives. Handling and weight transfer for exceptional launches require two completely different set-ups.

My first thought is to tell you that you need good tires for the drag strip and you should be in pretty good shape. Tires are the most important aspect of a good launch.

If you use short lowering springs to make the car handle better, you will give up some of the natural suspension travel in the front that would assist in rearward weight transfer on launches. Therefore, I would not suggest a super short and stiff front spring.

Adjustable shocks/struts can be some help because you could soften the setting for drag use and firm them for twisties.

I would personally suggest getting Bullitt/Mach1 or Ford C-springs. They are definitely better handling than stock GT springs, but retain much of the spring height for drag use. Those springs with adjustable shocks/struts should allow you to have decent performance in both situations, BUT not optimal for either one.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

I appreciate the post. I was afraid that i would have to be dedicated to one of the other. Making everything is a good idea. But seems like more work than its worth since i wont be hitting the curves all that much. So lets stick to the strip. To get the weight transfer. What spring setup would u go with? For just strip use. I am going to pick that MM package up...spring rate my largest concern
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Here's the way I would look at it. You aren't going to be driving it on the strip as often as you would be driving it around town and might want to take the occasional spirited drive. At that point, drag type springs would suck. I'd probably just get something set up for twisties unless it's going to be a seriously dedicated strip car.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Yeah, your right. Thats why i was trying to find a happy medium. Or as close to a medium as i could. Something pretty good on the track. But also something i can drive everyday and not have to roll 35mph thru a decent curve. I guess i would be leaning more toward track performance because if im having fun in it...Thats where itll be.....but itll be a dailey driver too.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

A dedicated handling suspension can go quick at the drag strip, but a dedicated drag suspension will be slow for handling.

TIRES will absolutely be the most critical component to a good launch at the drag strip. Although not a super quick time for a SERIOUS drag car, I have a road race inspired suspension set-up in my car and I have still pulled a 1.68 60' time by simply bolting on a pair of DRs at the drag strip. Note: my car does NOT transfer weight to the rear very well due to the nature of my suspension component choices.

If it will be daily driven, I would NOT install a set of drag shocks and springs on it. That is just me though.

A few mods that are good for both drag and handling would be LCA and FLSFC. I would absolutely do both of those.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
A dedicated handling suspension can go quick at the drag strip, but a dedicated drag suspension will be slow for handling.
That's exactly the opposite of what I was going to say.

I have two friends with maximum motorsports suspension on their cars, one with 450hp, the other with 600+. They both struggle on the drag strip, especially the one with 600+hp. On the other hand, I've been 1.39 60-foot on UPR Pro Series suspension, and with adjustable dampeners and wide tires all the way around, it actually handles fairly well for driving around town.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Eleanor62

I appreciate the post.