4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

So I broke my Throwout bearing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:28 PM
boyntonstylez
1st Gear Member

Default So I broke my Throwout bearing...

This happened Friday nite coming home from work, I had this little confrontation with a very annoying GTI. So I do my usual fake out, where I down shift and rev my engine and watch the dumbass run. Well when I did that this time a very loud screech was born. After a painful and headache causing ride home, I managed to drive it to a mechanic and I was throughly offended. After I did a on-line search and found the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing which amount up to $60. This so called 'mechanic' managed to break me in a new a**hole with this outrageous estimate. $732... 6 hours of labor and 332 in parts, not to forget tax. So I told him what I am going to do which has nothing to do with him. I dropped my car off at my personal mechanic, who charges me like 10 bucks for labor, went and bought the parts myself, at the Ford dealership. This story is just a reminding of how corrupt people are, especially when they see a young buck like me with a sports cars.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:50 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So I broke my Throwout bearing...

Thats so true. I like to mess around with salesman and stuff just because I know they will try to screw me because im a young kid. This one time a salesman tried to tell me my 00 was worth no more that $4000 and he wasnt allowed to buy it for any more than that and so I asked why they had some on the lot selling for 9K and he was like well those are manuals...???? WTF?? I guess its a mean thing to do but hey , I get a kick out of f*ing with people.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:39 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: boyntonstylez

This happened Friday nite coming home from work, I had this little confrontation with a very annoying GTI. So I do my usual fake out, where I down shift and rev my engine and watch the dumbass run. Well when I did that this time a very loud screech was born. After a painful and headache causing ride home, I managed to drive it to a mechanic and I was throughly offended. After I did a on-line search and found the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing which amount up to $60. This so called 'mechanic' managed to break me in a new a**hole with this outrageous estimate. $732... 6 hours of labor and 332 in parts, not to forget tax. So I told him what I am going to do which has nothing to do with him. I dropped my car off at my personal mechanic, who charges me like 10 bucks for labor, went and bought the parts myself, at the Ford dealership. This story is just a reminding of how corrupt people are, especially when they see a young buck like me with a sports cars.
You have a mechanic that only charges $10/ hour labor??? Thats a really deal.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:08 AM
silvergt
2nd Gear Member

my throwout bearing came out in two pieces
Old 09-19-2005, 01:13 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

damn ide put on some headers gears exhaust x pipe and a whole crapload of boltons for 10 bucks an hour.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:22 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

The stock t/o bearings are pieces of shat. Seems like everyone has had problems with em. My story with the young people and salesmen was when I went to buy mine. They wouldn't come out to me when I was looking at it, so I went inside and they asked if they could help me. I said "yeah I need to talk to a salesman". They asked, "if I was looking for anyone in particular", and I told em, "yeah, anyone who will sell me that car out there". That was the last time I will ever buy from them.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:58 AM
boyntonstylez
1st Gear Member

Well I got the full report on my car from my mechanic yesterday. Good news is that the clutch was replaced not too long ago but the bad news ONLY the clutch was replaced. When I damaged my T/O bearing I also damaged my pilot bearing, the clutch fork, the pressure plate and the flywheel didnt look too happy. So I told him to put in a new flywheel and the HD clutch assembly and still the amount comes up to $450. $732 for a T/O bearing only or $450 for the whole package...hmm
Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 AM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

Is this a different mechanic? And $450 sounds like just the price for parts. Was the first mechanic's quote for just the T/O bearing? Cause it sounds like he quoted you for a new clutch, bearings, and flywheel resurfacing. Just curious, cause we sure don't want you to get screwed over.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:35 PM
boyntonstylez
1st Gear Member

The 450 price is for my mechanic not the idiot that quoted me first. Its about 300 in parts and the rest in labor. The quote for $732 was just for the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and resurfacing the flywheel. Im basically getting a whole new clutch assembly and a aluminum flywheel for the cheaper price.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

u dont by chance live in florida and could get a good price on labor for me too? lol. cuz my throwout bearing is going too. it makes that noise every once in a while. an i dont wanna pay like upwards of 700 for labor when the time comes.

Quick Reply: So I broke my Throwout bearing...