4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

wiring nightmare, need some pro's help!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default wiring nightmare, need some pro's help!

I hate electrical, it's one job that when i get stuck with it at work i see myself dieing a little bit on the inside. anyways, I was wiring up a n2mb box on tcstangers car this past weekend and ran into some issues. the instructions say to hook the wire for the clutch in with one of the green wires for the clutch/cruise control switch. Now here's the kicker, when hooking it into either of those wires( i tried both and they do the same thing) the clutch doesn't activate the 2step, the brake pedal does. I dont get it and am left scratching my head. when looking at the wires i tapped into, i followed them up to the sensor and the clutch pedal is the only pedal that has anything to do with it, so i have no clue why this is happening. any ideas gents?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have no idea what sort of signal the N2MB box is expecting, however here is what is available at pin 1 of the Clutch Cutoff Switch (CCS):

As you can see, the CCS only has power when the brake pedal is depressed, without the brake pedal pressed there will be no power (or any other connection) applied to the Clutch Cutoff switch and therefore no voltage level or other electrical change created to signal the N2MB box.

That's why nothing happened until you stepped on the brake.

You need to contact them and figure out if that is the way they expected it to work--feel free to send them my message and diagrams if you like...
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

hmmm. that makes sense to me, but what doesnt make sense is why everyone else has connected it to the same wire and it works with their clutch.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Does it have a good ground, has same problem with a msd 2 step and it was a poor ground.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is that pull-up resistor in the Speed Control Servo, however with the BPP open (pedal not pressed) the best signal that would provide as the clutch was released would be a very small "glitch" if anything.

This is N2MB's generic clutch switch diagram:

They do not state whether the switch is normally open or closed.

If it is normally closed then when the clutch pedal is not pressed the signal to the WOT box is held at ground level. Just as soon as the clutch is pressed the switch opens and the 1k resistor pulls the WOT box green wire goes high signalling the box that the clutch has been pressed.

OTH, if it is normally open then when the clutch pedal is not pressed the signal to the WOT box is held high via the 1k resistor. Then when clutch is pressed the switch closes and the WOT box green wire falls to ground level--signalling the box that the clutch has been pressed.

Does tcstanger' have cruise control? Is it connected and working?

If not, or he doesn't want/need it the Clutch Cutoff switch could be rewired to do what the N2MB generic clutch switch does...
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

His cruise control has not been working since we put the v8 in a couple years ago. I may try and wire the switch up myself I guess and see what happens.