4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can't identify this sound on my car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

Default Can't identify this sound on my car!

Here's what I've got. 2001 GT bought with 62k miles ran perfectly aside from a few minor repairs. Changed plugs and fuel filler neck and fuel filter all when I got it. Has no rear cats and just Flowmaster mufflers for mods.

Always changed the oil every 3-4k with Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic with Mobil 1 oil filter. Always ran fine.

Here's whats happened to the car in the last week: Checked the oil last Wednesday and it was getting low, and I didn't have time to change it right away. It was about below the halfway point on the dipstick. Yeah I screwed that up by putting it off. Friday night I go out running fine and when I was heading home my friend mentions the car's "knocking" and I pulled over and checked it out and it was making that noise in the video. Came home and parked it and went to work with my dad's car the next morning and bought oil on the way home. I bought Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic with Mobil 1 filter. Drained the old and about 3 quarts came out. So it was kinda low and I screwed up there. I went with the 0w-40 as recommended by a few people to try and cover up the noise.

Put 5ish quarts of the new oil in and it kept making the noise. Next day the car is totally dead and I had to get a new battery as the old one was totally dead. This is unrelated but it happened the day after.

Now I can't figure out where the noise is really coming from. Driver's side for sure but I can't really tell. I've had a few people tell me it's an exhaust leak but I don't really know what that sounds like. I would hope it's an exhaust leak because that would be an easy fix. It also sounds like the converter's are rattling on the drivers side. Could it be that? Then when I listen again it sounds like it's coming from the intake manifold.

I don't know what to do. Am I screwed? The car runs totally fine aside from the noise and pulls like what a stock-ish 2 valve would. What do you guys think it is and what would the solution be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbqsyN8Blo

Video taken after oil change. The noise is only there when the engine is warmed up. Makes the noise on idle and acceleration and deceleration in 2nd. When you rev it in neutral it gets louder at 2000 rpm and then after that completely disappears.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I sure hope you put more than 5qts of oil in Your car!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

My mistake lol, I meant to type 6ish. One big jug and the small 1 quart.

Last edited by Boris91; 05-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a lash adjuster gave up. I would start by pulling the valve cover and checking them out.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Bearing
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
Sounds like a lash adjuster gave up. I would start by pulling the valve cover and checking them out.
I say it is this above.

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Bearing
That sound doesnt seem to be a rod knock.
More of a ticking noise Wannabe.

Boris Put a screw driver against the valve cover (tip end) and put your ear on handle end. This will help as a magnifier to hear where the noise is coming from.

I wouldnt drive it until its fixed so no more damage can be done.

Good Luck & hope you figure the problem out with your Pony.keep us updated

Repzard

Last edited by Repzard; 05-17-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 AM
stangrookie302
1st Gear Member

Flat cam maybe? if you threw a rod it would be louder but it does sound like a bearing.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Oh man, I feel for you. I have a well documented case of this exact same effing knock. It followed me over two different motors. Rebuilds, lash adjusters, timing components, etc. Never did find mine and the car is still running, 3 years later with that same knock.

See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mZ1hyxsns

And here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPLAaf-liTI

and lastly here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvVzFBT6WI
Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

WOW!!! Nice Post!Kind Regards

Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

these cars have rods? I thought it was a SOHC

I am guessing its a pully/barring/pump issue

Quick Reply: Can't identify this sound on my car!