4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ET for a 2002 automatic GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Project Mucilage

Default ET for a 2002 automatic GT

I have an opportunity to buy an automatic 98 Mustang GT. The car has a 2002 motor in it. I' m just looking to see if I will enjoy this car. If it were a manual, I know it' d be something I could work with. From what I' ve heard in the past, the automatic cars run nothing like the manuals, due to the terrible gearing in the transmission. My first mod for this car would be some 4.10 or 4.11 gears. I just want to know if the auto will be worth it. I' ve raced 99-04 GT' s in my Camaro, and have never been impressed. I never raced a highly modded GT however. I basically want this car in the 13' s at the very least. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:13 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

From my understanding, your Camaro has a bigger, more powerful engine. So their wouldnt really be any comparison when racing a 260hp mustang against a 350hp Camaro. If a mustang was supercharged on low boost, then it probably would be a competition. Ive thought about selling my mustang just to buy a Camaro becus they are pretty fast and all engine. Wanna trade your 01 Z28 for my 03GT Auto

I do think the Mustangs look much nicer in appearance though.

Last edited by supermario; 05-28-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project Mucilage
I have an opportunity to buy an automatic 98 Mustang GT. The car has a 2002 motor in it. I' m just looking to see if I will enjoy this car. If it were a manual, I know it' d be something I could work with. From what I' ve heard in the past, the automatic cars run nothing like the manuals, due to the terrible gearing in the transmission. My first mod for this car would be some 4.10 or 4.11 gears. I just want to know if the auto will be worth it. I' ve raced 99-04 GT' s in my Camaro, and have never been impressed. I never raced a highly modded GT however. I basically want this car in the 13' s at the very least. Any help would be appreciated.

Gears (410's), a agressive TQ converter stall, a good tire, LT's and you shold have no problems hitting 13's...
Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Project Mucilage

Hahaha! I' m good! I wasn' t trying to come out bashing Mustangs on a Mustang forum. I' m a Chevy man, but I can get down with a few Fords. I had an 88 GT (hence my login), until some arsewipes stole it in April. I was enjoying tinkering with it. Bought it as a project for $500. Right now, my Camaro' s suspension needs to be replaced. I' ve for around 200k miles on the springs and shocks. I want to completely replace everything, from the springs to the K-member and A-arms. My problem is that I can' t afford the downtime on my daily driver. My brother is looking to trade his bike for this 98 GT he found, then sell it to me, so that he can buy a Harley. Trying to help him out, and find a decent daily driver at the same time.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Armystrongmach1
1st Gear Member

03 GT: 4:10 gears, CAI, Flowmaster 40's weld-ins, Aluminum Driveshaft, SCT Tuned (93 Octane, Stiffer Shift Points) car ran a 13.71@102 mph on Gatorbacks (Goodyears). Car has some oats, you just need to mod it the right way.

P.S. Let the car shift it's self, try not to shift for it. you are not faster than a computer....
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 AM
myk
2nd Gear Member

I don't see how you can step down from an F body that runs 13's bone stock with factory installed tires, to a Mustang that can't do the same thing unless it's got H/C/I, and, or stall/gears plus a tune just to keep up. As soon as I bought my first LS1 I knew I could never turn back. Don't get me wrong, though. I still love my SN95 and drive it regularly but if I'm sensing a disturbance in the Force I drive the T/A just to be safe. I realize you're just trying to help your brother out, but as a 'DD the Mustang would leave you wanting more, especially since you've had more already...

Last edited by myk; 05-29-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:26 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by myk
I don't see how you can step down from an F body that runs 13's bone stock with factory installed tires, to a Mustang that can't do the same thing unless it's got H/C/I, and, or stall/gears plus a tune just to keep up. As soon as I bought my first LS1 I knew I could never turn back. Don't get me wrong, though. I still love my SN95 and drive it regularly but if I'm sensing a disturbance in the Force I drive the T/A just to be safe. I realize you're just trying to help your brother out, but as a 'DD the Mustang would leave you wanting more, especially since you've had more already...
There is more to driving a car than power alone. I didn't like my 4th gen F body at all, even though it was likely the fastest car I had owned. The SN95 outclasses the Fbody in comfort and driving IMO.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I loved my 2002 automatic when it had a couple boltons. It just had a cold air intake and catback and ran 14.0s many times. In my opinion pretty darn good just for that. Obviously the weather was ideal conditions.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

if it was a 5 speed you could hit 13.9 bone stock with low elevation and a good driver. . .

do 3.90 gears, high stall TQ Cv and look at a nice OR X pipe
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Project Mucilage

Originally Posted by Armystrongmach1
03 GT: 4:10 gears, CAI, Flowmaster 40's weld-ins, Aluminum Driveshaft, SCT Tuned (93 Octane, Stiffer Shift Points) car ran a 13.71@102 mph on Gatorbacks (Goodyears). Car has some oats, you just need to mod it the right way.

P.S. Let the car shift it's self, try not to shift for it. you are not faster than a computer....
That' s cool. This sounds like a decent daily driver, but I just want it to be a little closer in performance to my Camaro. I also completely agree with letting the car shift itself. I have never understood those who choose to shift an automatic, unless it' s one of these newer vehicles with a sport shift. Even then, I wouldn' t really shift it in competition.

Originally Posted by myk
I' m not stepping down from an F-body at all. The Z isn' t going anywhere, I just need to stop driving it so much, and refresh the suspension. I' m selling my bike to a friend, and using that money to buy something I can use as a daily driver. I was using my 88 GT as a daily driver, until some arsewipe hit me. I was going to restore it, but some more arsehats stole it! I was having fun with that little car. It was nowhere near as fast as the Z, and definitely not helped by the fact that I couldn' t shift into second. , but fun car nonetheless.The seating position was stupid though, since the steering wheel isn' t centered to your chest I would definitely mod this car if I buy it. Gears were the first thing on my list!

Quick Reply: ET for a 2002 automatic GT