4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 gt power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 PM
maverick3429

Default 03 gt power?

hello, i'm relativly knew to this thread.

I bought an 03 GT 2 months ago and it came with a UPR cai, bbk 75mm throttle body C&l plenum flowmaster catback. Im getting a or/x next from americanmuscle and maybe some headers if i get a good price on them. What else can i possibly do to my motor to get more power out of it? And roughly speaking how much power do you guys think its actually putting to the ground. I have it tuned via bama performance/americanmuscle. Feels quick as it has 3.73 gears too but ya know the name of the game, more power!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Firstly, welcome! second, read this: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...beginners.html third, let us know if you have more questions! lol

Seriously, all that is a good start, but the only way to change things SIGNIFICANTLY is 1.Forced induction, or 2. LOts more money for heads cams etc... FYI, a stock 2V crank is purported not to be much good past ~ 400hp as it is cast, not forged. A cobra crank is better. Id hesitate to estimate what you're putting down now, maybe someone else will, but im sure its enough to feel the difference,maybe 25-30 hp overstock max?

Oh and before others beat me to it: Pics!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

steve, the crank isnt the weak link. these cast cranks have been put over 500 rwhp safely. the rods are the weak link at about 400-450 rwhp
Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maverick3429

I bought an 03 GT 2 months ago and it came with a UPR cai, bbk 75mm throttle body C&l plenum flowmaster catback. Im getting a or/x next from americanmuscle and maybe some headers if i get a good price on them. What else can i possibly do to my motor to get more power out of it? And roughly speaking how much power do you guys think its actually putting to the ground. I have it tuned via bama performance/americanmuscle. Feels quick as it has 3.73 gears too but ya know the name of the game, more power!
Sadly your mods will not yield you to much in the area of rwhp. I'm thinking you're probably at or around 230-245 rwhp..I would reccommend going with 410's and a STS (short throw shifter)... IMO that's a very good start.. GL!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
steve, the crank isnt the weak link. these cast cranks have been put over 500 rwhp safely. the rods are the weak link at about 400-450 rwhp
There are no rods in a 4.6 sohc.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

No rods! Da** I feel cheated then. I just bought some rods for my 03 forged shortblock...Are you serious????
Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maverick3429

The 4.6L SOHC engine in our mustangs doesnt respond very well to basic bolt ons. There are a few that are worth it because they provide decent power and will further support things such as nitrous and supercharger setups. I would get an O/R mid-pipe, Catback, CAI, gears and a tune and I wouldn't spend a dime on any other bolt-ons for power purposes. Feel free to upgrade your suspension though. If you want decent power out of these engines you need to start saving for a nitrous or supercharger setup. If you have a manual feel free to pick up a clutch and adjuster if youd like as well as a short throw shifter. If you have an auto a tune, J-MOD Valve body and transmission cooler is a must.

Do not waste your time on headers because these engines will not gain any power from headers until they are making 500+RWHP and thats being nice about it.

Originally Posted by school boy
+1 this is correct

Originally Posted by EddyG
By saying "Rods" he is referring to connecting rods not pushrods.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I stand double corrected then. Everything else still stands though.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
The 4.6L SOHC engine in our mustangs doesnt respond very well to basic bolt ons. There are a few that are worth it because they provide decent power and will further support things such as nitrous and supercharger setups. I would get an O/R mid-pipe, Catback, CAI, gears and a tune and I wouldn't spend a dime on any other bolt-ons for power purposes. Feel free to upgrade your suspension though. If you want decent power out of these engines you need to start saving for a nitrous or supercharger setup. If you have a manual feel free to pick up a clutch and adjuster if youd like as well as a short throw shifter. If you have an auto a tune, J-MOD Valve body and transmission cooler is a must.

Do not waste your time on headers because these engines will not gain any power from headers until they are making 500+RWHP and thats being nice about it.

+1 this is correct

By saying "Rods" he is referring to connecting rods not pushrods.
Oh my bad lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EddyG
lol, i knew what you were thinking the second i read this!

Quick Reply: 03 gt power?