4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pos maf issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Lvnvgt

I wonder if i can test the cops with a megger? I know our cops can put out close to 40kv but I wonder if 500v is enough to see if the boots are leaking? Our cops are auto transformer I think though and def dc voltage so I dont think thatll work.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Lvnvgt

On second though.. Theyre 7 dollars a piece.. Ill just replace them with the plugs lol
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Lackey'sGT
1st Gear Member

Yeah if they are that cheap then might as well replace them. Where did you find them that cheap though? What about the crank position sensor, that could also cause some of the problems you are having. Sometimes when messing with the intake tube the IAC can get turned inside the tube not allowing the air to flow through it properly, try looking at it making sure the it is in the air flow because it is easy to put it back in turned.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Lvnvgt

Autozone has them for about 7 a piece. Cps sounds like another good place to look. I guess ill just change ething cept the cops unless I still have an issue after. Atleast if I change ething 1 thing atva time ill be able to narrow it down and pos have backup parts for later if needed lol. The intake seems to be in the same possition but ill def check and make sure nothing is restricting air flow. Im going to try and throw in my plugs tonight and hope that fixes it though... Do u happen to know about the thread problem on some of the4.6's when doing the plugs? It kinda scares me to do them myself just cause I dibt want to funk up the eng.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Lvnvgt

Ok I did my plugs.. I used ngk fs-55 gapped at .53. It feels alot better but not quite right. Still holds back quite a bit but def alot better. I had 1 plug on the 3rd cylinder that had some oil on the bottom of it and a line where it looks like antifreeze might have been at 1 time. I figure that could be a cop that is missing once in a while so im going to have the cops tested at my buddies shop. Ill recheck them in aftwr a couple hot cold cycles and retorque. I torqued the plugs to 13ftlbs.. I wonder if I shouldve gapped closer to .48?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Lvnvgt

I actually should clarify... Oil was on the threads not on the bottom of the plug electrode. Tomorrow ill have my buddy check the coils.. Was trying to avoid the 95 dollar bill though lol.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Lackey'sGT
1st Gear Member

The oil could be from a leak, check around your intake manifold for any leaks. Did you do the hot and cold runs?
It’s just really hard to pin point the miss because my car has been missing (hesitating) in low rpm’s for about 6 months now and I’ve tried everything and nothing seems to work.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Lvnvgt

Ok heres the scoop.. My buddy took a look at it and found a leak on the elbow where the pcv connects to the tb. He fixed that and then hooked it up to his laptop and found a couple lean spots. It didnt show any miss fires or nething. He drove it around pretty much all day and it didnt once act up on him. He told me to keep an eye on it and if it does anything to bring it back. He has a couple mustangs and 1 of which is a nice 86 with a built 351 so I trust him. He also uses the same program that ford uses to scan the pcm. So I left bis shop and it did feel alot better..... Then as im running sround town with the ac on it starts to feel really sluggish ( to the point where I damn near have to punch it to get it to snap out of its fit) and it finally throws a service engine soon light. I started to smell gas inside the car so I turned off the ac and it still feels sluggish. He said to def try some techron fuel system cleaner in it on my next tank of gas. Im going to drop it off to him tomorrow now that I actually have a code he can read and see if he finds the issue. Def thinking evap now since I smelled gas and it acted the way it did. I will post more tomorrow after work.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Lackey'sGT
1st Gear Member

Alright cool keep me posted, could it have anything to do with your alternator because the AC was on? Making it not sprak right causing a rich fuel.