4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

back to NPI

Old 08-07-2012, 04:55 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Default back to NPI

ok so i went back to NPI!!! before i get alot of hate let me explain what im doing. when i had my pi swap i had my NPI heads ported and polished and was reading how the NPI head can make more torque as if you put a cam in the NPI it can handle more duration than a PI head.

so im going to do an NPI build. as i have already swapped my NPI heads back on i am getting a stage 2.5 NPI bullet cam from modular head shop.

i dont want to mess with timing again. so i was thinking to get the anderson cam tool for 30 bucks.

do i need different cam gears to use this tool. i know i need new cam bolts as the stock bolt is pressed into the cam. so i need new cam bolts and do i also need new cam gears to use this tool? or can i use the stock 98GT cam gears to swap the cam out without taking the timing cover off? im kind of confused about this.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Why would anyone "hate" you for doing what you want to do?

We live in odd times when the meaning of such powerful and divisive words have become so commonplace as to find there way into forums such as this...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-07-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Why would anyone "hate" you for doing what you want to do?

We live in odd times when the meaning of such powerful and divisive words have become so commonplace as to find there way into forums such as this...
I just know there will be that one person like why would you do that it's stupid to go back to NPI. If you know what I mean. But I never really thought of it the way you put it. It's true. Well I wasn't saying anyone would hate me for doing it I said don't hate on me for doing it. Two different meanings.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Seems like a good idea to me. While they don't flow as well, the NPI has always seemed like it has more torque than it's PI brother.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I was unger the impression the NPI intake manifold was a big culprit as well, Id image worked NPI heads with a PI manifold or an edlebrocker manifold would be be a good setup.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I was unger the impression the NPI intake manifold was a big culprit as well, Id image worked NPI heads with a PI manifold or an edlebrocker manifold would be be a good setup.
exactly, my build was going to be ported NPI heads, stage 2.5 bullet NPI cams edelbrock victor jr intake, 6061 elbow, edelbrock fuel rails,

i was thinking this ould work well because the bullet cam and ported NPI heads would give it great low end torque. and the edelbrock intake/elbow/fuel rails will give it that extra top end it needs. and maybe throw in a 100 shot or something. im looking to achieve low 12's.

but about my question about the cam gears. do you know if i can use the stock cam gears with the anderson cam tool and just buy new cam bolts? or do i need new cam gears. because while switching this stage 2.5 cam in i dont want to take out the timing chains. or will i have too? cause i know the stock 98GT cams/heads the cam bolts are pressed into the cam. so i was wondering if there was anyway to just get new cam bolts and use the anderson cam retention tool and swap the cam real fast.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Honestly, trick flow makes a nice set of adjustable cam gears for a 2v, why its apart I would just run them
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Honestly, trick flow makes a nice set of adjustable cam gears for a 2v, why its apart I would just run them
Honestly I'm on a budget. And those cam gears are over 200 bucks. I already did some research and I can reuse the bolts and the gears.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

I thought the cam gear bolts were TTY and should never be reused?

I personally think low 12's is a bit ambitious, but I sincerely wish you the best of luck! It's a unique build for sure.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I thought the cam gear bolts were TTY and should never be reused?

I personally think low 12's is a bit ambitious, but I sincerely wish you the best of luck! It's a unique build for sure.
Yeah I meant new bolts and reuse the gears. And well I ran 13.23 @ 107 with a PI swap and 281rwhp and 318rwtq.

Porting the Npi heads with the stage 2.5 Npi torque cam and a edelbrock intake 6061 elbow, 24lb injectors, and edelbrock fuel rails. I already have 4:10 gears. With slicks. I will be shifting at 6500-6600 rpms. I think it won't be hard to achieve low 12's

A stock 98GT with the stage 1.5 bullet NPI cam made 280rwhp and 290rwtq.

I'm lookin to make 300+rwhp and 320+tq
I think it's possible with the mods I have and adding the stuff I listed above.
I will keep everyone updated as the build goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: back to NPI