4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch Exploded... couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch Exploded... couple questions

Well I posted this is in the thread referenced below but since it was so old I figured I would start a new one. So to start this off here's the last post I had in the other thread yesterday.

BOOM!!! Clutch finally went, I think it broke a strap but I have a couple more questions now. I'm going to be getting a stage 1 clutch of some sort, do I have to upgrade my clutch fork or is a ford racing stock replacement ok? I saw a review saying the heavy duty fork was shorter and made peddle effort harder and I don't want that. I also called Ford and they want $120 for a clutch cable, are there any other cables that are just as good or is the stock cable really the only smart way to go?

Also should I get this guy or should I get a stock replacement?

http://www.lethalperformance.com/99-...ball-ford.html

Original Thread: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ch-to-buy.html
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...aftermath.html

when this happened, we were told to only use the stock cable, with a nice adjustable clutch quadrant. Stock cable is where its at. We also used a ford replacement fork and TOB.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...aftermath.html

when this happened, we were told to only use the stock cable, with a nice adjustable clutch quadrant. Stock cable is where its at. We also used a ford replacement fork and TOB.
Holy hell man that's insane your uncle is lucky he didn't lose a foot. But I have to ask, how would that be caused by the clutch cable?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

it definately was not caused by the clutch cable... but a number of other things. I was just pointing out that on a 600 horse car, we opted for factory replacements over the aftermarket for what we felt would give us no "performance advantage"... I've also heard that aftermarket cables dont last near as long as OEM. obvisously the clutch, and bell housing were upgraded.

As far as the cable, fork, and TOB, the factory pieces are going to be the most durable,
IMHO. and we havent regretted the decision to go back to OEM for these parts
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

it definately was not caused by the clutch cable... but a number of other things. I was just pointing out that on a 600 horse car, we opted for factory replacements over the aftermarket for what we felt would give us no "performance advantage"... I've also heard that aftermarket cables dont last near as long as OEM. obvisously the clutch, and bell housing were upgraded.

As far as the cable, fork, and TOB, the factory pieces are going to be the most durable,
IMHO. and we havent regretted the decision to go back to OEM for these parts
Ok stock clutch cable it is. What are your thoughts on a clutch fork and the ball pivot?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

We went with OEM there as well. The only aftermarket we went with was the mcleod clutch, and the quick time bell housing. So far so good. however this is just my experience. Did your last clutch kill your fork?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

If it did come apart, in pieces.. did it get the snub nose on the starter? ours took out the teeth on the starter shaft..
Old 08-16-2012, 06:26 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Problem #1, as you now know, was the Spec clutch. I have had very good experience with RAM clutches, then again I understand the "Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch for the Ford Mustang" is highly (or at least very often) recommended...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

If it did come apart, in pieces.. did it get the snub nose on the starter? ours took out the teeth on the starter shaft..
Don't say that... because my starter is having trouble turning the motor and it keeps kicking off and I have to hit the key again.... The clutch blew up pretty well, god knows what happened in there but it doesn't sound good. I'll be rippign it apart this weekend if the weather is nice. Probably Sunday, anyone wanna come help? haha

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Problem #1, as you now know, was the Spec clutch. I have had very good experience with RAM clutches, then again I understand the "Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch for the Ford Mustang" is highly (or at least very often) recommended...
Ram huh? Maybe I'll give them a shot, I was against them because I don't know them and haven't heard much about them. I have been thinking Centerforce, heard nothing but good things but they're a little more money than some others.

What are your thoughts on the fork Cliffy? Stock fork ok? I read a few places that the stock fork bends. Also will I need the adjustable ball pivot or should I get a stocker?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

I think if you go with the centerforce DFX or whatever they call it, you'll be happy. Hear the pedal is just like stock, so I wouldnt worry about anything bending.

If your starter is crappin out, now is the best time to change it.. easiest, and than you wont have to go in there twice. a long extension, and a 13mm stubby wrench will be your best friends when you go to do the top bolts. Both the mustangs in the stable we have, have only 2 starter bolts when put back together.

Quick Reply: Clutch Exploded... couple questions