4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Frigging o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Blackbelt

Default Frigging o2 sensor

Ok here is the skinny... When I purchased my 1998 GT, I brought my scanner to see if the car had any engine codes, which the owner said it did have an O2 sensor code. He said he was non-mechanical, and didn't want to mess with it himself. I felt confident in replacing the sensors... So I also bought MIL eliminators because the car has a full Flowmaster system with an "H" pipe. i had a BI^CH of a time getting the rear O2 sensor out (had to pull the exhaust pipe out WD-40 the crap out of it and put it in a vise to get it to turn, because some numb nutts rounded the thing off!!!!!)... anyways... sorry about the rant. got the new sensor on, so my passenger side was reading a bad sensor in bank 1 sensor 1,2 so I paid my $50/sensor, and replaced the entire passenger side sensor bank. AND THE CODE POPPED AGAIN TODAY!!! what am I missing???

thanks, in advance...adam

sorry I am a bit frustrated.... lol
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

What exactly was the code? Are you sure you changed the right bank. This is irrevelan but its good to make sure the sensor are the same brand for any variance.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Blackbelt

Yes Both sensors are Bosch... same ones...I will get the code and post it..
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Knowing the code is vital. There are many DTCs that mention one of the O² sensors in the description, however they are the result of a good sensor reporting some other problem.

Once you get the code you can look it up here to see possible causes and diagnostic tips...
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Blackbelt

So my code is a P1409 an Egr vacuum solinoid. So should I just go to Autozone and get a new one? I hope it is a quick fix. Lol
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Did you look it up here?

"Damaged EGRVR solenoid" is #4 on the list, check #s 1, 2 and 3, and the regulator solenoid's resistance before throwing more money at the problem...
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Blackbelt

yeah, and how can I check those? lol and what is VPWR? when it says VPWR is open to the EGRVR lol.. is there a way to clean the old EGRVR out?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

VPWR is Voltage PoWeR, battery voltage, +12V. There is also VREF which is Voltage REFerence, a +5V reference provided by the PCM.

Here's the wiring diagram:

Check for +12V on the RD/YE wire at the EGRVR connector (KOEO, Key On Engine Off).

If that is found then check the resistance of the EGRVR solenoid coil, I.e. between the valve's two terminal with the connector unplugged--it should be 26Ω to 40Ω. If not the coil is open or shorted.

The valve is just a vacuum valve so it is unlikely it needs cleaning, nor did I see "dirty EGRVR" on the list of possible causes. I suppose that if the coil checks out you could try supplying the valve with power and blowing it out with compressed air--not too much pressure or it might be damaged. I have no idea exactly what sort of valve it is, however I'd bet that being a vacuum valve it has a diaphragm seal that could be ruptured by too much pressure or damaged by chemical cleaners.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Blackbelt

cool beans.. I will check that.. if not the part is a $30 part at the zone.... so if the cheap route doesn't work.. then NEW PART
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Good thing you ran the code, were you just assuming it was an o2 sensor code?