4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99 mustang gt supercharged, possible purchase thoughts/opinions

Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM
andy9743

Default 99 mustang gt supercharged, possible purchase thoughts/opinions

great forum guys, tons of info. i currently do not have a mustang but i've been looking ran across the following and wanted to get some opinions. as of late i've had the itch to get back into something "fun" to drive again. started looking around for cars that would fit that bill sub 10k manual and v-8. ran across a 99 gt that has a vortec s/c on it. second owner. first owner did the s/c install. has 83k couple sets of rims/tires, exhaust, clutch and short shifter and a few cosmetics. original owner totaled it in 04 fixed it himself (body guy by trade) appears to be straight, i would have never known if he hadn't told me. i'm not very concerned with the work that was done it looks great. car is clean in and out over all. no rust etc. current owner has done brakes, alt, battery etc. to keep it rolling. he's put 12k miles on in the 6 years he's owned. he obviously does not know much about the workings of the car, no idea on the tune or what kind of boost it is running (no gauge). guy seems honest, doesn't come across as shady at all...pretty nerdy, selling the car to get married. i'm going back to take a look at it in a few days with a more critical eye and put it in the air. besides general used car bs to look over anything i should be concerned about with the s/c? i've done a bit of forum reading on the vortec units and they seem reliable and long lasting. about a 3k price tag to buy the unit i believe it has on it (need verify what model exactly) they don't seem to put out more power then the tranny etc. can handle...tranny shifted smooth, clutch was fine. i'm not going to race the car just looking for something that is fun to cruise and has enough power to get out of its own way. most likely i'll DD it in the few decent months a year we have. headlight has a rock hole (no biggie) and a/c was never recharged, but all components are there (also no biggie)
questions:
-thoughts on what it's worth?
-opinions on the s/c? concerns with higher miles and that boost?
-anything else to look at specific to this gen mustang?

thanks for taking a look!

andy
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The fact it was wrecked and fixed would scare me away. I would be also concerned that he doesn't know what kinda boost its running, which means more than likley it was tuned and could of been beat on with a "can" tune. BTW welcome to the forum, there is a member here selling a Supercharged GT just as you mentioned, I think he is asking 9-10k. Car is located in PA. All being said the car your looking at is the first year of the new body, still uses a t45 trans, was wrecked (r title?), I would probably only go to 6,500$ on it due to the fact it was wrecked.

Last edited by uberstang1; 08-22-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM
andy9743

thanks for the fast reply. seller is asking $7500 but i think i can get the car for low 6k. the repair does not bother me at all...i'm more concerned with the s/c and him not knowing anything about the tune. is the t-45 a weaker trans?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 AM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andy9743
great forum guys, tons of info. i currently do not have a mustang but i've been looking ran across the following and wanted to get some opinions. as of late i've had the itch to get back into something "fun" to drive again. started looking around for cars that would fit that bill sub 10k manual and v-8. ran across a 99 gt that has a vortec s/c on it. second owner. first owner did the s/c install. has 83k couple sets of rims/tires, exhaust, clutch and short shifter and a few cosmetics. original owner totaled it inin 04 fixed it himself (body guy by trade) appears to be straight, i would have never known if he hadn't told me. i'm not very concerned with the work that was done it looks great. car is clean in and out over all. no rust etc. current owner has done brakes, alt, battery etc. to keep it rolling. he's put 12k miles on in the 6 years he's owned. he obviously does not know much about the workings of the car, no idea on the tune or what kind of boost it is running (no gauge). guy seems honest, doesn't come across as shady at all...pretty nerdy, selling the car to get married. i'm going back to take a look at it in a few days with a more critical eye and put it in the air. besides general used car bs to look over anything i should be concerned about with the s/c? i've done a bit of forum reading on the vortec units and they seem reliable and long lasting. about a 3k price tag to buy the unit i believe it has on it (need verify what model exactly) they don't seem to put out more power then the tranny etc. can handle...tranny shifted smooth, clutch was fine. i'm not going to race the car just looking for something that is fun to cruise and has enough power to get out of its own way. most likely i'll DD it in the few decent months a year we have. headlight has a rock hole (no biggie) and a/c was never recharged, but all components are there (also no biggie)
questions:
-thoughts on what it's worth?
-opinions on the s/c? concerns with higher miles and that boost?
-anything else to look at specific to this gen mustang?

thanks for taking a look!

andy
Where are you located?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:44 AM
andy9743

near toledo ohio
Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

near toledo ohio
I'm the guy selling the mustang Uber mentioned. Id be interested in meeting you halfway or something if we could work something out.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 PM
andy9743

Originally Posted by jvog
I'm the guy selling the mustang Uber mentioned. Id be interested in meeting you halfway or something if we could work something out.
what are the specs on your car? price?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

what are the specs on your car? price?
DSS Rods and Pistons in a teksid aluminum block.
Stage 2 Fox Lake Heads
Stage 2.5 CMS Blower Cams
Vortech V1 S trim with a 2.87 pulley, Intercooled
VMP HPX MAF meter
MMR Coilovers all around. Competition engineering 3 way shocks in the back, KYB AGX adjustable struts in the front.
Ford Racing lower control arms
PA Racing tubular K Member
MGW Short throw shifter
Innovate Boost gauge
Innovate A/F Gauge
Marshall fuel and oil pressure gauges: Still need to be hooked up.
14.7 wideband with built in digital gauge

I'd honestly need $8k, otherwise I'd part it out and sell it with a stock motor in it. It does have a few issues though. If you're interested shoot me a PM and we can talk details.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
andy9743

Originally Posted by jvog
DSS Rods and Pistons in a teksid aluminum block.
Stage 2 Fox Lake Heads
Stage 2.5 CMS Blower Cams
Vortech V1 S trim with a 2.87 pulley, Intercooled
VMP HPX MAF meter
MMR Coilovers all around. Competition engineering 3 way shocks in the back, KYB AGX adjustable struts in the front.
Ford Racing lower control arms
PA Racing tubular K Member
MGW Short throw shifter
Innovate Boost gauge
Innovate A/F Gauge
Marshall fuel and oil pressure gauges: Still need to be hooked up.
14.7 wideband with built in digital gauge

I'd honestly need $8k, otherwise I'd part it out and sell it with a stock motor in it. It does have a few issues though. If you're interested shoot me a PM and we can talk details.

i cant pm (must not have enough posts) email me at andrew.schlagheck@calphalon.com
or text me at 419 389 two zero eight five
i'm interested in more details

andy
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

i cant pm (must not have enough posts) email me at andrew.schlagheck@calphalon.com
or text me at 419 389 two zero eight five
i'm interested in more details

andy
Email sent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 mustang gt supercharged, possible purchase thoughts/opinions