4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98 mustang gt wont crank, please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 PM
jwallz23

Unhappy 98 mustang gt wont crank, please help!!!!

i would love to stick a rag in the gas tank of this car! got the car about a year ago, cheap and didnt want to pass up a good deal. turned out the motor had a blown head gasket and the owner had powered wut looked like a gallon of stop leak into the motor. finally got enough money to buy another motor and put it in, now the thing wont even turn over. theft light was blinking so took it to ford and they flashed the pats and fixed it...so i thought, came back from the dealer on a tow truck and still didnt crank. saw two wires coming out of the firewall i hadnt noticed before, went to investigate and found some crazy viper alarm system. took it all out and reconnected the factory harnesses. still nothing, replaced the ingnition start switch under the dash, still nothing, lights come on when i turn the key to the on position, then when turned over to start they go out, no clicking or anything. replaced fuses and relay, nothing. someone suggested a ground wire, i really didnt thing that would cause all this but i found a red wire coming off the driverside motor mount that was suppose to connect to the frame. Is this possible that this would keep the car from turning over? got another one off a parts car i have and gnna do it tomorro, just didnt want to get my hopes up. please someone tell me im not goin crazy!!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I would guess that is your problem. That is one of the wires people almost always forget to reconnect after putting a motor in a Mustang
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 PM
jwallz23

yea i never even saw it cuz it was broken off at both ends, had to take one off another car. it was pure luck i even saw it with a flash light
Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM
jwallz23

if for some reason this isnt the trick is there anything else i should b looking for?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:19 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwallz23
if for some reason this isnt the trick is there anything else i should b looking for?

Deal with other options when the time comes, one thing at a time man.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:56 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Ground wire will most def. not allow your car to start in alot of cases. Look at your sensors along the crank pulley as one is just around the a/c on my car. also cam sensors are behind the coil packs, sometimes can be hard to see, don't forget those, however it would still run without cam, but not crank sensor.

I recommend, unplugging and replugging just to be sure they are making the connection as I have had some connected... but not CONNECTED. if that makes sense. Good luck man, i feel your pain.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwallz23
yea i never even saw it cuz it was broken off at both ends, had to take one off another car. it was pure luck i even saw it with a flash light
Thats because people also forget to unhook that ground when pulling the motor And it gets pulled in half
Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Thats because people also forget to unhook that ground when pulling the motor And it gets pulled in half
I'm guilty of that for sure.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 PM
jwallz23

Redone all grounds, still nothing, fuel pump comes on but still doesn't crank. Starter is good. Hearing a clicking sound from passenger side fender when I turn the switch to the on position
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Gdgarman

If its just clicking it might not be working at all. You can try jumping the starter. Arc the both positives and if it doesn't crank the starter is bad. It should at least spin if it was misaligned. Just be very careful, i told my brother to do this on his ford ranger and when it acred he freaked and put the screw driver threw the oil filter - hilarious until i had to drive 50 miles to change his oil filter . You'll have to touch the big thick positive wire against the other positive signal wire. DO NOT TOUCH THE BIG RED WIRE AGAINST ANY GROUND OR THE GROUND WIRE. Also it doesn't hurt to check the voltage at the starter and when it is trying to crank. Just what i do when im checking a starters. Before i go, make sure you have a good battery lol number one rule when check for electrical problems

Quick Reply: 98 mustang gt wont crank, please help!!!!