4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SERIOUSLY!! idle issues and rpm plummeting! help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by cliffyk
From his first post:
Its monday morning Cliff, once again u busted me on my lazy eye. I was just curious because he is near me, I want to know where NOT to take my car for a tune as its clear they aren't too good.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Don't know where they are. Cruising the web I found a "Fastlane Motorsports" in Waynesboro VA and another in Bensen NC. The outfit in NC seems good...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Whats funny man. I reviewed and reviewed on this place and everyone has great things to say. When they open every morning they pull out 3-7 sn95s from their bays and they would all eat mine alive on the dyno. So many customers im not able to part in the parking lot. Ive read 100 great reviews on them. They are featured in magazines.....so why me? Why my car? I emailed them the logs of what my car has been doing...and they said they didnt feel the a/f was anything crazy or out of the ordinary. But sent my info to the tuner to look over. Idk. Just my bad luck i guess.

On a side note i will be data logging everything tonight if i can find out how and send it to the tuner and to another dyno. See if we can vet this straightened out
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I would take the car somewhere else, if the problem is fixed you know the tuner was at fault. I'm suprised they would even let a car leave their shop like that, thats their name on the line.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

I agree man. I can say im pretty disappointed. I felt as if they had to many customers. Not enough employees. I drove 4hrs to get there....3 different times. And they didnt even get a pull on tape. Would not strap mine up for just a quickie for me to video. Felt like i was treated as if i lived 5min away. When i got the car back my rims had dirt and rust on it where it had been sitting outside for a month....and they have to drive past a car wash to get to and from the shop...everyday. 8th mile away. Just feel on top of the car not being ready in the amount of time invested....i would have done things much differently.

This was the NC shop

Last edited by disposablehero27; 08-27-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
I emailed them the logs of what my car has been doing...and they said they didnt feel the a/f was anything crazy or out of the ordinary. But sent my info to the tuner to look over.
I find the highlighted comment above to be a bit disturbing, "they sent your info to the tuner..."?

Is he not on site?

Do "they" actually tune cars or have someone do it at arm's length?

Also if the AFRs in the log are as you reported, then their position that the a/f was not "anything crazy or out of the ordinary" is a crock of shìt--to put it as gently as I can. That engine should never be leaner that 14.7:1 except when engine braking or if you are chopping the throttle between shifts (which you should not be doing)...

Is it the place in Bensen North Carolina?

I do not know that I can read an SCT log, however if you would like to send it to me I would be pleased to see what I can see. PM me and I can give you a real email address...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Oh, and aside from anything else it does not run properly. So unless they can provide some useful feedback as to what they feel is the problem is, it becomes even more obvious that they are full of "it".

I would not have the ***** to charge someone money and return the car running as you have described...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-27-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

The tuner is on sight. Just not answering the phone. Supposed to be getting back to me with what he wants to to log and possibly an explanation. However im betting it will be...ok....do this. Since they said the car is just fine and safe ro drive and the a/f wasnt anything bad. I told him well when i see bright red on my a/f. 85% of the time im driving it. (18.1) it causes concern.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

So the conclusion now seems to be my intercooler piping is to small. That i need atleast 6' of straight pipe on either side of the maf. Thats why its bucking at low rpms because its throwing off the counts.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
So the conclusion now seems to be my intercooler piping is to small. That i need atleast 6' of straight pipe on either side of the maf. Thats why its bucking at low rpms because its throwing off the counts.
Six feet! Where is the MAF going to mount, in the passenger seat?

Are you sure they didn't say 6" (inches)?

Can it be "clocked", did they try that?

Anyhow seems they should have noticed and mentioned that quite a while back.

Got a photo of the engine bay and intake?

Quick Reply: SERIOUSLY!! idle issues and rpm plummeting! help!