4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Too much rear end articulation???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Question Too much rear end articulation???

Hey all,

After some sage advice from experienced MF guys, I tossed the idea of a coil over set up, so I looked at the rear end components that I already have and I am a little concerned. I have MM lower arms and UPR adjustable uppers. They both have spherical ends at the axle. Will this cause too much articulation and or slop in the rear end? I know the uppers need spherical end on the axle ( I will use new rubber bushing on chassis), The lowers are MM, the best you can get, It would suck to install them and be all over the place.

Thank
Shawn
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Your fine with your setup, spherical ends are the best option to run as far as performance goes, there won't be any slop. Slop comes from worn out rubber ot ply bushings. I would removed the rubber bushings on the axle side of your UCA and run a spherical bushing there as well. The only downfal to spherical ended control arms are increased NVH. I run solid on all ends on my car.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:33 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Armydad
Hey all,

After some sage advice from experienced MF guys, I tossed the idea of a coil over set up, so I looked at the rear end components that I already have and I am a little concerned. I have MM lower arms and UPR adjustable uppers. They both have spherical ends at the axle. Will this cause too much articulation and or slop in the rear end? I know the uppers need spherical end on the axle ( I will use new rubber bushing on chassis), The lowers are MM, the best you can get, It would suck to install them and be all over the place.

Thank
Shawn
Originally Posted by uberstang1
Your fine with your setup, spherical ends are the best option to run as far as performance goes, there won't be any slop. Slop comes from worn out rubber ot ply bushings. I would removed the rubber bushings on the axle side of your UCA and run a spherical bushing there as well. The only downfal to spherical ended control arms are increased NVH. I run solid on all ends on my car.

Uber's right. There's no such thing as too much articulation. What the sphericals do for you is they eliminate the bind and let the articulation take place more freely. They actually ELIMINATE slop. That's why they're used on racecars. The only reason they're not more popular is because they add NVH, and many people don't want to deal with increased NVH levels on their streetcars.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1

Thanks,
actually the rubber bushing on the axle side is removed, thats why I was worried. Both the upper and lower arms will have a spherical ends at the axle. I will have a poly on the chassis side on the lowers and a new stock rubber on the chassis side on the uppers. Hopefully this wii aleviat some bind, not stress the mounting points and dampen some of the added NVH.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Uber's right. There's no such thing as too much articulation. What the sphericals do for you is they eliminate the bind and let the articulation take place more freely. They actually ELIMINATE slop. That's why they're used on racecars. The only reason they're not more popular is because they add NVH, and many people don't want to deal with increased NVH levels on their streetcars.
Thank you for the reply,

I will have a new stock rubber bushing at the chassis end for the upper arm and a poly for the lower arm, this will hopefully address some of the noise added.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Polys usuall make a stupid creek noise as well.