4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

opinions on block heater and remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Default opinions on block heater and remote start?

So i live in north dakota and it gets way to cold here, im a college student so i drive my car year around.

I want to get a block heater and remote start fr my car before it starts snowing this year.

do you guys have any recommendations?

should i order a block heater somewhere and then just have a mechanic install it? or is this something a dealership would have to do??

also where should i get a remote start system and which kinds are better(range etc), i saw that best buy offers a few different options

thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Block heater? Not needed, this is an EFI gas engine not a disel.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Block heater? Not needed, this is an EFI gas engine not a disel.
I don't even use the block heater on my diesel 95% of the time, remote start would be a nice feature though
Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member

People saying you dont need a block heater wouldn't last a minute where I am...(It can get into the -50's and -60's with wind chill)

Diesels wouldn't have a hope in hell starting at -40 without a circulating heater let alone a block heater...
as far as your "EFI gas engine" goes at -40 it can take over 5 minutes for your oil to have the right viscosity so the oil pump will actually move it... so if you enjoy running your engine with NO oil flowing to the top end then go right ahead, its your car...

Block heaters are easy to install yourself, just drain the coolant and knock out a frost plug and install it.

I dont have any experience with car starters, usually I just go out and start it before I want to go anywhere

Depending on what temperatures you are seeing you may also want to run a lower viscosity oil ie: 0w30 (flows like a 5w30 at -20c)
Old 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by RMK01GT
People saying you dont need a block heater wouldn't last a minute where I am...(It can get into the -50's and -60's with wind chill)

Diesels wouldn't have a hope in hell starting at -40 without a circulating heater let alone a block heater...
as far as your "EFI gas engine" goes at -40 it can take over 5 minutes for your oil to have the right viscosity so the oil pump will actually move it... so if you enjoy running your engine with NO oil flowing to the top end then go right ahead, its your car...

Block heaters are easy to install yourself, just drain the coolant and knock out a frost plug and install it.

I dont have any experience with car starters, usually I just go out and start it before I want to go anywhere

Depending on what temperatures you are seeing you may also want to run a lower viscosity oil ie: 0w30 (flows like a 5w30 at -20c)
So are you telling me that EVERY car up where your at in canada has a block heater? I highley doubt that. Run the proper oil weight for those temperatures. "Wind Chill" doesn't technically effect engine case temperatures either. The OP is in north dakota, depending on what part I don't think he is going to see temperaturs near -40 and -50, and if your in an aera with -60 degree temperatures the last thing you should be doing that day is cruising around in a mustang in my opinion.

Last edited by uberstang1; 09-09-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member

So are you telling me that EVERY car up where your at in canada has a block heater? I highley doubt that. Run the proper oil weight for those temperatures. "Wind Chill" doesn't technically effect engine case temperatures either. The OP is in north dakota, depending on what part I don't think he is going to see temperaturs near -40 and -50, and if your in an aera with -60 degree temperatures the last thing you should be doing that day is cruising around in a mustang in my opinion.
Actually EVERY car sold here comes with a block heater from the factory.....so YES
Old 09-09-2012, 04:16 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

yeah it gets like -40 to -50 here and previously my cars has started a lot better with block heaters, so i thought it would be a nice addition.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

if your in an aera with -60 degree temperatures the last thing you should be doing that day is cruising around in a mustang in my opinion.
+1 Ha ha...
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
ArmyofOne

I had a viper remote start and alarm in my last car and it worked great in it until I sold the vehicle, just don't make the mistake I made and buy it on eBay or you'll have trouble finding a place that will install it if you didn't buy it through them.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jjstandardz
yeah it gets like -40 to -50 here and previously my cars has started a lot better with block heaters, so i thought it would be a nice addition.
Man im glad i live on the east coast

Quick Reply: opinions on block heater and remote start?