4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help w/ coolant leak. Top of engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Horus

Default Help w/ coolant leak. Top of engine.

Hey everyone, Im a lurker here normally, but Ive come across an issue and Im not sure what to look up to fix it. I noticed Ive been having some overheating issues, due to a leaking radiator. After trying to find the leak, I found it but not sure what the problem could be or how to fix it. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction, so I took a picture and highlighted where the leak was coming from. Appreciate any help!

Name:  VCGrv.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  89.9 KB
Old 09-12-2012, 12:18 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

I would assume if its not that backnof the hose. Which i doubt it is....im betteing there is a gasket under the piece tge house goes to. Since i can see into.the valley of the motor and just by the pic...looks like you can remove the house and two or so bolts and check the piece, may be cracked, or just a simple gasket replCement. If thats not it. May be deeper into the motor behind it. Which we canteens see. They also have pressure units that you can hook to your radiator. Pump up and watch for the leak. Very handy. Probably cost both arms and a leg. Maybe start the engine. Hunt it down. But it looks like its from under the piece those connects to. Thats what id check first.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The crossover pipe to intake manifold flange seal has failed--it is very common, it happened on my '03 and two other nearby new-edge GTs (an '02 and an '04).

When you pull the manifold you will likely see this when looking up into the thermostat housing, from the bottom of the manifold flange:

The formed seal you see protruding into the passageway is normally held in a groove in the plastic (Zytel) manifold flange; however the inner wall of that groove deteriorates over time and the seal, no longer constrained, folds inward causing the leak.

BTW, the photo is from a forum member's '03 (IIRC) that failed in the same manner.

I removed all the deteriorated plastic, cleaned and degreased everything, and put it back together "sealed" with J-B Weld. That was 1-1/2 years and 5k miles ago (don't drive the Mustang much now that I am retired). The key is to get it squeaky clean, applying the J-B Weld liberally and bolt the crossover to the manifold--then let it sit for 3-4 hours.

This is what the repair looks like:

After the J-B Weld has partially cured install the manifold on the engine and torque it down to spec. Then wait another 24-30 hours before refilling the coolant and starting the engine.

If you are not as impatient and/or cheap as me then buy a new FRPP intake from one of the vendors that advertise here, should be $200 or less shipped last I knew. Do not buy a Dorman or other after market manifold from a FLAPS, they are universal fit 4.6 units with lesser manifold volume. They appear to be moulded from non-PI manifold molds, with a PI style port insert.

One other comment, what is leaking looks like rusty water, not a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. You do run a 50/50 coolant mix don't you?

Last edited by cliffyk; 06-18-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:36 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

cliffyk,

You're spot on! Just today I bolted on a new Ford Racing PI Intake to repair the original on my '04 that failed exactly as your picture shows.

Funny you should mention JB Weld. I had some pitting in the head where it meets the intake, so I cleaned and applied JB Weld. I filed it flat then used a stone. I'm pretty happy with how it came out and we'll soon see if it's a good fix.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Horus

Think I got it fixed. Thanks for everyone who helped out! Now I just have to fix up my other problems, misfiring spark plugs, and squealing transmission lol.