4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Serious inquiry on building up my Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
The question being though is how do you want the car to be setup? A 500hp street car isn't too bad to build, but if your plans are to track the car and drive it really hard at a strip well now you gotta look into a few more things.. Good to know that the suspension is already done, any clue on what's involved in it?

As for swapping, that is one way.. Another is buying a built 2V shortblock or even having yours built.. (i'd feel safer buying a build shortblock)... Getting your heads nice and cleaned and polished up. Porting isn't required but couldn't hurt if you have the money.. Next thing is your choice of how you want it to drive. If you want something where you can easily adjust boost and keep it tame and then crank it up for a pass or race then a turbo is good to go. If you want all around nice power band you can't go wrong with a roots or twin screw.. If you want an easy install and reliable boost that's cheaper then a centrifigul is good.

I personally enjoy turbos for built blocks just because you have so much more control over it. However for normal driving a twin screw or a roots is perfect IMO.
What is a twin screw, or roots? is it different than a SC? pros vs cons? This is what I mean what I am blind and unknowing haha. I think I have pretty much ruled out turbo (twin turbo that is), not that there is anything wrong with going that route, I just think that for what I want, it wouldn't fit my needs. (power when ever I want it for the streets)

Hope you don't mind me asking you more questions in the near future!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Doyon I was kinda in the same boat you are. I went through two stock short blocks and less than ten months and was not going down that road again. I put the goal out there for my car. 500 RWHP. To reach that goal I knew the stock block wasn't gonna cut it, so I purchased just in the last 5 mths, a teksid block, diamond racing pistions, MHS stage II blower cams, Flowtech LT's (given to me), and next month I will be installing a vic jr intake, 6061 plenum and edelbrock fuel rails (thxs for the advice on that one guys). With 11-12 psi I should be sitting close to 450 + to the rear wheels. TRexGawd hit it on the money about the heads.. That's exactly what I will be doing once I return from Korea. That should put me right at or around 500 or so. If you're really interested in getting this thing done, your best bet would be buying a short block and getting it built. That way you can still drive your car and once you've completed your project slap her in there. You can find a teksid block, rods, pistions, SC setup, etc., etc., on corral.net or even the MF classified for little or nothing. GL!
Soldier, I am very glad you responded to my thread! haha

I'm really just stuck with so many options to do things and what not, it's really starting to put a hurt on me!! But what you said sounds like something I would really be interested in doing (going this route). I am all about doing it right the first time, taking notes from others of what to do and what not to do, pick this part and not that part. Because when it's all said and done, i'd love to know that pretty much every darn thing is done.

I think this may take more time than I realize. My uncle has had his show car worked on for over 10 years (all in a shop the ENTIRE time) and is still not done. I think this might end up being me, save the 10 years haha.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Right. This is what i was telling you. Buy a longblock ready to go. Bam. 500hp. You win. Start on next project. First off when it comes to power adders....trust me. Turbos are nasty. If you have the time and money...it wont disappoint you. When setuo correctly. Thousands of horsepower can be made. Yhere are different kinds of superchargers. Roots. Twin screw. Centrifugal. All have different advantages. Mainly the choice btw kow end instand power. And you can drive you car around normal with no boost until you want it. Once the car gets up to an rpm level lets say 2500rpm. The centris slamming air into your motor. But anything under 2500....its all motor. Just for an example. Some people like the sounds of the kenne bell whine sound. Some people like the blow off valve purge of a bypass of a procharger. Some like the sound of a turbo.

All of you power adders come expensive and involve a different amount of labor. I believe turbos are more efficient and end in more power, but again....just depends on how crazy you go. Thing about turbo is its alot of custom work with turbo headers. Welding. Oil lines. Etc

I went with procharger because i found a steel if a kit. If i were you i would search around 1 thing at a time and research and review it. Summit racing, MMR, Lethal performance, american muscle,upr, jegs. And so on. They sell complete motors. Turbos. Kits. Supercharger kits. Many more companies out there
Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
Right. This is what i was telling you. Buy a longblock ready to go. Bam. 500hp. You win. Start on next project. First off when it comes to power adders....trust me. Turbos are nasty. If you have the time and money...it wont disappoint you. When setuo correctly. Thousands of horsepower can be made. Yhere are different kinds of superchargers. Roots. Twin screw. Centrifugal. All have different advantages. Mainly the choice btw kow end instand power. And you can drive you car around normal with no boost until you want it. Once the car gets up to an rpm level lets say 2500rpm. The centris slamming air into your motor. But anything under 2500....its all motor. Just for an example. Some people like the sounds of the kenne bell whine sound. Some people like the blow off valve purge of a bypass of a procharger. Some like the sound of a turbo.

All of you power adders come expensive and involve a different amount of labor. I believe turbos are more efficient and end in more power, but again....just depends on how crazy you go. Thing about turbo is its alot of custom work with turbo headers. Welding. Oil lines. Etc

I went with procharger because i found a steel if a kit. If i were you i would search around 1 thing at a time and research and review it. Summit racing, MMR, Lethal performance, american muscle,upr, jegs. And so on. They sell complete motors. Turbos. Kits. Supercharger kits. Many more companies out there
I realize turbos are a great way to go (and IMO the most elite), even with the expense and the tinkering, I grew up around turbo my ENTIRE life, even before no one else did it, except a few. (My Grandfather owning a supra and my Uncle owning 5+ cars that are turbo charged). I want to try something new haha. Sounds like the longblock is a great way to go, and I will have to read up on all of that, and more.

For all those different types of setups, the kenne bell, twin screw, ect, is it much harder to maintain these? More cost involved? Like I think I said before, I haven't ruled out anything, except a twin or single turbo. I did a quick little search on Kenne Bell this morning and it seems to be a very high end product, something I wouldn't mind going with, unless there is some huge disadvantage, which I don't see there being haha.

I guess one could judge better on what I would need if I said what I would like haha. It would be nice to just drive a car around on the motor without all the power, unless I needed it at say 2500RPM, as said in your post, Dispos. I should get to searching up all of those different options today though! See which one fits my needs much better.

Last edited by Doyon; 09-16-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Yeah. Probably your best bet. Centri power generally comes later in the power band as opposed to top mount chargers that begin much lower rpm range. This can cause traction issues if your not setup.for it which i believe you said you did. So it looks like youll be fine with any supercharger you want. Chargers arent alot of maintenance really. Some centris you have to change the oil in the. The older ones are plumbed into your oil pan. I would you tube dif. Mustang charger setups and get a feel for them. Eaton/kenne bell. Procharger/vortech. Are the four i hear the most about. Two dif. Chargers. Setuo and sound two dif ways. And create boost at different places in your power band. Some people pick the kenne bell and eaton just for the sound. And i cant blame them. It does sound badass. But again i found a steal on my kit. So i went procharger.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

No problem man. 2 things.. Make sure you have a good plan and secondly make sure the people doing the work are reputable. My car has been in the shop since April and just found out last week that I had a damaged head. The head has been bought but this is some info that I would have loved to have known months ago...I would most def start with a forged block. As said ealier get it built and then put it in your car. After install a S/C and there you go. If I can back 3 yrs I would have done it that way..

Originally Posted by Doyon
Soldier, I am very glad you responded to my thread! haha

I'm really just stuck with so many options to do things and what not, it's really starting to put a hurt on me!! But what you said sounds like something I would really be interested in doing (going this route). I am all about doing it right the first time, taking notes from others of what to do and what not to do, pick this part and not that part. Because when it's all said and done, i'd love to know that pretty much every darn thing is done.

I think this may take more time than I realize. My uncle has had his show car worked on for over 10 years (all in a shop the ENTIRE time) and is still not done. I think this might end up being me, save the 10 years haha.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:23 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

+1^^^

buy the motor, the the charger. install it if you can. then swap. done. tune. enjoy
Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

So far on my short yet useful search for info on the different types of SC and I'll be honest, the Kenne Bell really caught my attention, not sure what version though, I saw 1.7, 2.1, 2.2, and a 2.8. Have no clue what any of it means. I also saw a "twin screw" Kenne bell, but it looked pretty much the same as a regular Kenne Bell. It seems (and correct me if i'm wrong) that the KB is a very well built, well known piece of equipment.

I haven't even began to scratch the surface of it, but I can already tell this will be one of the top choices, but the search is still on! Just when I think I was going with a procharger/vortec SC, I find a new SC! I can tell this will take more time than thought, but that's okay, I'd like to take some time and learn about it all instead of just buying parts and having a shop throw them together.

But as I think both you guys said, do everything else first, then add the SC, which has been my intentions in the first place.

I think it would also be smart if I can keep all of my purchases within just a couple companies/websites, even if it may not save money, but i'd think it'd save me a headache, especially if something was wrong with the part. I've actually only been to AM and thought they were a great place to shop at for a lot of my needs, but I will check out most if not all of the sites Disposable has mentioned.

Once again thanks to you all, I know it can be frustrating trying to teach the new kid the ropes.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Soldier, I looked up Teksid blocks online and the only place I could find anything about them really was Corral, in the for sale section, which I think about $6,000. But it looks like they are all selling the blocks with a lot more than just that... but I could be wrong.

I also remembered a lot of people talking about ford racing and thought I would give them a quick look and found these

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/101.htm

I'm not sure if these are something I could use or not (if they are worth while).

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I bought my teksid (including 11 CC diamond racing pistons) fior 750 bucks shippped. Buy a used teksid, get it machined, buy the pistons, rings and rods and there you go. I'll look for you and try to help you out..

Quick Reply: Serious inquiry on building up my Mustang