4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mechanic dropped pen into header!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
mustangmonkey

Default mechanic dropped pen into header!!!??

took my supercharged 01 gt into the mechanic for a drive belt change. i was informed that he dropped a pen into the passenger side header. the car has a noticeable loss is power and does not sound the same. is has a melt plastic smell. does anyone have thoughts on what to do at this point? the car has a vortech supercharger on it and after market exhaust and headers. no cats.

will this simply work itself out or do i need to have the exhaust taken apart?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

How did he drop it in the header? And why didn't he remove it.. He F'd up, it's his to fix.. Not yours.. as for working itself out, it's probably melted in there pretty good at this point..

I still don't understand why the header was off in the first place O.o
Old 09-15-2012, 09:20 PM
mustangmonkey

i don't know why the header was off, he was told to just change the drive belt and had to take off the supercharger to route the drive belt around it. i plan on talking to the owner on monday to resolve. i just don't trust what they told me. he says he tried to get the pen out but couldn't. I don't know why they didn't just take the header off if that is truly what happened.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Yeah I'd be pretty mad that a mistake like that was made and they didn't correct it.. Definitley talk to the management or owner and get that taken care of.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:21 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

It was most likely not the header. They messed something else up. You should've gone back right away and not left until your car was fixed.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:01 AM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

This ^^ what there tellin you is a bunch of bs.. No reason for the header to come off
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Def have a talk with the owner of the joint.
They may have had to remove the blower to route the new belt.
WTF was he using the pen for? Maybe trying to stretch the hose around the blower inlet? There are proper "tools" for that, why did he use an ink pen?
WTF did he open the exhaust for? That doesn't make sense.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Agreed. B.s. exhaust header goes to the side of the block. Drive belts are in front. Im guessing you talked to a person behind the counter that relays messages like my mother. This did not happen. Something else is going on. Take it back asap. After resolved....never go back. I can see a pen in a shirt pocket. Leaning...falls out. Ok. Get it. Finish job. My point it is. There are very few reasons to toich the headers of these cars.rough job from the tight squeeze.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Thats a new one I havent heard before..."I ah had to ah take off your exhaust to change out a belt...yeah thats what happened...yeah..."

Matthew
Old 09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

What type of SC do you have is it intercooled? Betting you have a centri, MB a ProCharger as I know they are one of the few that whole SC has to come off for belt change. I just did that yesterday.

I dont think he dropped the pen in exhaust header. I think it went in the SC inlet piping where the SC attaches its outlet & its gotten sucked into intercooler, MAF or throttle body. MAF should have an air straightening screen that would stop it.

I can see how he may have dropped it ONTO a hot header & it melted on the outside of header. That wouldnt F up how the car runs tho. It would just stink until it melted off or ignited & burned up your car.

These guys have EVERY tool to take your car apart & reassemble. They f'ed up bad sounds like.

GL.

Last edited by FrostByte; 09-16-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: mechanic dropped pen into header!!!??