4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pinion bearing

Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

I to the guy and said he tighted it and to make sure it tight but he didn,t really know the specs that you said 16 to 29 ft lbs as he said in lbs. I could be the drive shaft as it sounds like a howling or bearing roaring alittle as I really don,t hear the gears much. He wants to recheck it and I said would feel better to see 16 ft lbs or more on that pinion nut
Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Convex
I to the guy and said he tighted it and to make sure it tight but he didn,t really know the specs that you said 16 to 29 ft lbs as he said in lbs. I could be the drive shaft as it sounds like a howling or bearing roaring alittle as I really don,t hear the gears much. He wants to recheck it and I said would feel better to see 16 ft lbs or more on that pinion nut
The pinion nut is NOT to be torqued to any specified value. The pinion nut is to be tightened to whatever torque is required so that it takes 16-29 lb-in of torque (with new bearings/gears/etc) to rotate the pinion gear.

NOTE: I incorrectly posted these values in lb-ft earlier--it has been corrected (this getting old stuff can be annoying at times)...

Here is the procedure as described in the shop manual. Print it out and take it to your mechanic...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Finallyverted

So install kit, gears, and LSD, do you remove the clutch to install gears? This doesn't make sense to me but again new to the rwd world, the diff cover you did just to change or did you do it because it stronger, I wanna do this once and the right way once (if that's possible .)
Thanks for all responses been a huge help! 4.10 gears I think will be to aggressive for what I have set out to do with vehicle will keep everyone updated on progress still confused on how the teardown if this works under assumption the driveshaft comes out and pinion bearing prolly in front needs to be inspected? Probably in transmission so thus why you need to tear both sides down Hhmmm thanks in advance
Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

Thank you Cliff for the link on specs!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finallyverted
So install kit, gears, and LSD, do you remove the clutch to install gears? This doesn't make sense to me but again new to the rwd world, the diff cover you did just to change or did you do it because it stronger, I wanna do this once and the right way once (if that's possible .)
Thanks for all responses been a huge help! 4.10 gears I think will be to aggressive for what I have set out to do with vehicle will keep everyone updated on progress still confused on how the teardown if this works under assumption the driveshaft comes out and pinion bearing prolly in front needs to be inspected? Probably in transmission so thus why you need to tear both sides down Hhmmm thanks in advance
1. I changed the cover because I wanted a drain plug, and the new one has a bearing support.

2. The clutch discs are IN the LSD assembly, the clutch to the transmission does not need to come out.

3. The , wheels, axles, brakes, driveshaft and differential cover are what need to be disconnected/removed. Nothing more

4. The pinion bearing(input from driveshaft) and seal should be replaced when replacing gears. The bearing install kit will have these components.

5. There is nothing you need to do to the transmassion whatsoever, im sorry If i led you in the wrong direction there.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Finallyverted

stevednmc thank you I re read and I was under assumption when you referenced "clutch"
It was transmission clutch but after rereading I realize it was LSD clutch, after looking up all these parts I have more questions �� how many splines are stock driveshafts? And is there a huge difference beetween the 175 dollar install kit and the 75 dollar install kit I see these kits at AM looking at buying, the ford racing 3.73 gears the 31 spline LSD and the install kit but not sure which install kit to buy I'm pretty sure the last owner was not easy on the vehicle considering I'm going through this with 50,000 miles on it let me know it any other upgrades will be better done now then later my car is home stock but planned on exhaust and x pipe rims and complete suspension and tuner want planning on this project but don't wanna skip a step at the same time thanks again
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Finallyverted

And is it ideal to spring the extra 200 dollars on the eaton LSD, as opposed to the ford racing LOK one? And edit on the last post 75 dollar too 110 install kits looks like has extra pieces
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Its not necessary to buy a whole new LSD. Jsut replace the clutch discs in the one already installed. The stock 8.8 is 28 spline I believe, so going with a 31 spline will require new axles and the whole lot. Unless you plan on drag racing or making big power, you dont need to do this.

1.http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-373-9904gt.html

2. http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-8...-kit-8604.html You dont wanna cheap out here! This also includes the axle bearing and seals.

3.http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit.html Again, this is optional, you dont NEED to do this, but i like the peace-of-mind I have knowing that the clutches are new, and carbon fiber..

That should be all you need for parts, less the fluid.

Last edited by stevednmc; 09-25-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 PM
RMK01GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The pinion nut is NOT to be torqued to any specified value. The pinion nut is to be tightened to whatever torque is required so that it takes 16-29 lb-in of torque (with new bearings/gears/etc) to rotate the pinion gear.

NOTE: I incorrectly posted these values in lb-ft earlier--it has been corrected (this getting old stuff can be annoying at times)...

Here is the procedure as described in the shop manual. Print it out and take it to your mechanic...
I just want to add this rotational torque value can only be checked when the differential carrier is out, you want to spin the pinion only. you are checking the preload on the bearings, and should be done before you install the seal
Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RMK01GT
I just want to add this rotational torque value can only be checked when the differential carrier is out, you want to spin the pinion only. you are checking the preload on the bearings, and should be done before you install the seal
Good addition, and very important.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pinion bearing