making a mustang for the strip - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Reload this Page >

making a mustang for the strip

Notices
4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

making a mustang for the strip

Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Box Car Racer

Y'know both the 4.6 and the 5.0 SN-95s are fast cars in their own right... an engine swap might not be all that necessary unless you're planning on having the fastest mustang in your entire county. I've seen guys put down some seriously fast times and am always surprised at just how little their cars are tricked out. It's always a little wet shot of nitrous and some change. I'm saying this because I've been in your exact same situation when I was working on my LS1. The more research I did, the more ridiculously cost ineffective and time consuming the thing turned out to be. The tranny swap you mentioned alone will cost no less than $2,500 but will likely be around $3-5,000 unless you're chummy with the guy doing the work. Everything you mentioned is incredibly labor intensive. I'd say save up for the platform that's already there for you to build a car on: stick shift, powerful V8, etc. It's easy to go underwater
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I'm thinking the 351 in an 03 is about equal if not more work than putting one in the earlier body style. You'd still have the K member issues etc...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM
moparman14

box car: im planing on doing all the work myself. and im wanting to make a car for the drag strip so if its the fastest in the country thats fine by me haha. my plans are a 351, stroked to a 408, .40 over, camed, alluminum heads, blown, 750 cfm holly, shot of NOS, 4:11 on a 9" sound good?

lilroush: as long as it can be done i'll give it a shot im about to have a good amount of spare time after work so atleast i'll be kept intertained..
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 AM
moparman14

but its all a plan right now just going to start with the motor first
Old 10-08-2012, 09:10 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If your making a dedicated stip mustang, the first and foremost thing that MUST be done is weld and reinforce the torque boxes, just wanna throw that out there.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 AM
moparman14

ok I even asked my buddy and he dont know whats a torque box??
and just an up date bought the engine stand and 351w time to start working over time haha
Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by moparman14 View Post
ok I even asked my buddy and he dont know whats a torque box??
and just an up date bought the engine stand and 351w time to start working over time haha
Oh my, no offense but if your buddy doesn't know what a torque box is he has no buisness building a drag car. Its the box where the control arms mount to the chasis.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM
moparman14

well I plan on driving it to work also. will never be late again. and this is also my first build. got to get your foot in the door sometime..
Old 10-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

well I plan on driving it to work also. will never be late again. and this is also my first build. got to get your foot in the door sometime..
Where do you live in GA? May be some stuff i can help you with if you need it.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Ah, so this is one of those unlimited budget/build time, gonna do it the hard way (or never at all) using the parts you heard might be the right ones from your friend's uncle's dentist's roommate, dedicated track cars that you'll drive all the time. Got it.

I love these threads, they are my favorite.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: making a mustang for the strip

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.